Echo & Alexa Forums

Xmas routine not working

jvk of md

Xmas routine not working
« on: December 05, 2021, 06:18:40 am »
Every year I run this routine.  Sunset turn on xmas 1, xmas 2, xmas 3 (kasa plugs, no problem)  Then I have another routine... At 10pm turn off xmas 1, xmas 2 xmas 3, turn on driveway light (also a kasa plug).  That routine isn't working this year but always has in the past 2 years.
 It seems to me if it was kasa related the 1st routine wouldn't work either.  I tried deleting it and redoing it.  I tried grouping the xmas lights so it would be less lines of commands.  It seems like alexa isn't recognizing the 10pm time slot as a call to act.
 I tried manually pressing the play button to test it and xmas 1&3 turned off, xmas 2 didn't and driveway light didn't turn on.  So now for tonight, I'm setting each device in the kasa app on a schedule at 10pm and skipping alexa as a routine.  Will see. 

Offline jwlv

Re: Xmas routine not working
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2021, 06:40:37 am »
I've had similar issues with other brands of plugs/lights (e.g. Wemo, Feit, TP link). Turns out that every now and then, you may need to disable/re-enable the skill to get everything to refresh. From what I understand, when a skill get an update (you can see when the last update was on the Your Skills screen in the app), it can break certain things. So the way to un-break it is to disable/re-enable the skill and then link your account so that your devices gets the refresh it needs to work again.

jvk of md

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2021, 07:23:34 am »
Thanks.  Yes that's what I ended up doing.  Just to be sure I deleted all the kasa devices from alexa before re-enabling the skill.  Sucks having to redo all my routines and stuff but it seemed to have worked.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2021, 08:17:25 am »
When I had to do that, I just disabled the skill. I did not have to delete the smart plugs/bulbs from Alexa and I didn't touch the routines. After I re-enabled the skill, everything worked as it should. But that was with Wemo. I don't know if Kasa resets everything when you disable the skill.