Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa Doesn't Know It's Working

Offline TE5LA

Alexa Doesn't Know It's Working
« on: November 29, 2021, 06:44:51 pm »
100% of the time, when I tell Alexa to turn on my Nvidia Shield, it always turns it on and then says "Sorry, Shield isn't responding".

Also, Alexa randomly turns it on or my TV when I'm not home. I have no routines for doing this. I have already tried all the resetting and re-linking and reinstalling of Shield skill, Alexa app, etc.

P.S. Not to nitpick, but when registering here it asks what is opposite of the color black. Neither black nor white are colors :)

Offline jwlv

Re: Alexa Doesn't Know It's Working
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2021, 01:05:05 am »
P.S. Not to nitpick, but when registering here it asks what is opposite of the color black. Neither black nor white are colors :)

Yea, but the spam bots don't know that. But you can figure it out. And that's the genius behind it. I can't really make a Turing test on this forum software.

asnider123

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2021, 03:58:48 pm »
My art teacher in school taught us that black is the combination of ALL colors, while white was a complete LACK of color. So, indeed, the opposite of BLACK (all colors) is WHITE (no color) I believe. :)

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2021, 08:56:09 am »
I too get the " sorry ** isn't  responding" even though the device powers on, not as much for a off command. I suspect the issue is the time Alexa is waiting for confirmation isn't long enough. Network congestion may be a cause.
 As for things randomly turning on  check to see if hunches are enabled.
 Also since it is your TV that is being turned on, check that it isn't  getting a blast of sunlight which could give the IR sensor a false on signal. I had this happen to me. I now have the blinds pulled during this time of day

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2021, 07:35:43 pm »
My art teacher in school taught us that black is the combination of ALL colors, while white was a complete LACK of color. So, indeed, the opposite of BLACK (all colors) is WHITE (no color) I believe. :)

The concept is correct, the details are backward. White is the combination of all colors of light being returned at the same time. Black is the lack of light (color) without light, there is NO color... white light can be filtered to get any ONE color or a variety of them at once. Take into consideration how a prism works.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

Offline TE5LA

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2021, 09:13:49 am »
I too get the " sorry ** isn't  responding" even though the device powers on, not as much for a off command. I suspect the issue is the time Alexa is waiting for confirmation isn't long enough. Network congestion may be a cause.
 As for things randomly turning on  check to see if hunches are enabled.
 Also since it is your TV that is being turned on, check that it isn't  getting a blast of sunlight which could give the IR sensor a false on signal. I had this happen to me. I now have the blinds pulled during this time of day
The message doesn't take place until about five seconds after it is turned on and the device doesn't use IR. Besides, the only window in my room is completely blocked off from sunlight. The remote is Bluetooth. Alexa isn't using remotes to operate these devices anyway. It's being done over the network.

Offline TE5LA

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2021, 09:16:12 am »
The concept is correct, the details are backward. White is the combination of all colors of light being returned at the same time. Black is the lack of light (color) without light, there is NO color... white light can be filtered to get any ONE color or a variety of them at once. Take into consideration how a prism works.
Actually, an item is not the color we perceive it to be but every color besides that color because it is reflecting only that color. Deep, huh?

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2021, 12:01:29 pm »
The message doesn't take place until about five seconds after it is turned on and the device doesn't use IR. Besides, the only window in my room is completely blocked off from sunlight. The remote is Bluetooth. Alexa isn't using remotes to operate these devices anyway. It's being done over the network.
I didn't  realize your tv was bluetooth and I was referring to it turning on  when your not home. This doesn't mean Alexa is turning it on. You may wish to check the network channels in use and choose one with less traffic for your router.

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2021, 07:53:06 pm »
Actually, an item is not the color we perceive it to be but every color besides that color because it is reflecting only that color. Deep, huh?

Another neat perspective and description. So if something is not that color it only reflects that color... I'll buy that as an alternative theory. Twisty for sure.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!