Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa wont recognise some device names

Alexa wont recognise some device names
« on: November 25, 2021, 01:32:44 pm »
I am using Drayton Wiser TRV valves on my radiators, with the Wiser Heat Skill. Alexa recognises all the devices and I can see them in the Alexa app. I have 24 devices, 12 of which are radiators.
They can be controlled with saying 'Alexa set the bedroom to 21'. However I always get 'I cannot find a device named xxxx' with Hall and Kitchen. I have renamed 'hall' to 'hallway' and that now works, but I can't think of a good synonym for 'kitchen'. I have tried 'citchen' and 'kkitchen' without success.
I have also tried discovering the device with the synonym name, and then editing the name in the Alexa app. (Eg calling it 'hallway' in Drayton, letting Alexa discover 'hallway' and the editing it to 'hall'. But I still get 'I couldn't find a group or device named hall'.
There have never been any other devices called hall. There was an echo dot called 'kitchen' but I renamed that to 'echoinkitchen'.
Any ideas?

Re: Alexa wont recognise some device names
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2021, 02:28:01 pm »
The issue is most likely room names that Alexa sees as groups if you must use a room name try naming the devices (room name + heat) like "kitchen heat".

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2021, 04:54:40 pm »
names can be finicky.   I also had problems with hall and kitchen.   I eventually renamed hall to hallway and kitchen to dining room.   A lot of times I found the way you say them can also be an issue.   Maybe too long or even too short of a pause between the command and the name.  It is something you will have to play around with in order to find what works.

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2021, 07:28:45 pm »
Rename the Kitchen one "Galley" and solve your problems the easy way...
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

Offline TE5LA

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2021, 07:16:29 pm »
The issue is most likely room names that Alexa sees as groups if you must use a room name try naming the devices (room name + heat) like "kitchen heat".
Alexa doesn't seem to care about rooms and devices that are set to them. Some names appear to be hard-coded for specific devices. I have a thermostat named "Thermostat" located in the hallway. Weird, right? And I have an air conditioner in the window of my bedroom that was named "AC". I had to change the name of my window unit to "Midea" (the brand) because when I would tell Alexa to "turn on AC", it would attempt to turn on the thermostat in the hallway, which it can't even do. Alexa can't turn my thermostat on or off or change it from cooling to heat. It has to be done manually and then you can have Alexa set a temperature. It will reply "Thermostat doesn't support this feature", but it does. Google Home has no problem doing it.