Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Voice User Interfaces and Cognitive Labor | Survey Screener

Voice User Interfaces and Cognitive Labor | Survey Screener
« on: November 01, 2021, 02:43:52 pm »
Hi there,

I know you must get a ton of these requests but I would sincerely love your help with my study!

My name is Stephanie and I am a designer and design graduate student at the University of Washington in Seattle. For my thesis, I am investigating current practices around voice user interface devices (i.e., Alexa, Echo, Google Home, etc.), cognitive labor, and reduction of cognitive load in the context of the home.

Here are a couple examples of cognitive labor:
Planning a vacation: deciding the itinerary, deciding when to buy tickets, picking the hotel, deciding which restaurants to try.
Planning a birthday party: creating the invitation, deciding the attendee list, managing correspondence with guests, deciding on party favors to purchase, ordering food.

I am particularly interested in how couples living in the same household manage and distribute their cognitive labor and how couples might use voice user interface technologies to help with their domestic productivity and cognitive load reduction (i.e., using these devices to help manage your tasks, add reminders, add meeting invitations, set timers, etc.).

I would like to learn a bit about you and your partner to determine if you are eligible for this study. This study will consist of one 60-90 minute interview for a $30 gift card. Your partner is also invited to participate in the study but it is not required — all interviews will be conducted individually and they will also receive a $30 gift card for their interview. They must also complete this survey.

To be eligible for this study, you must own a voice user interface device.

You can participate in this study if you live anywhere in the US and any reporting of your participation will be anonymous.

The interview will be conducted over Zoom, however if you are fully vaccinated, I also invite the opportunity to complete the interviews in-person, if you are in Seattle, where my research is based.

If selected after the initial meeting, I would ask for your commitment to a week-long diary study activity and an exit interview.

After filling out this 10-minute survey, you will hear about whether you qualify to participate, and any next steps for enrolling in the study.

Here is a link to my survey: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfkMvHEnlHGcaPo9uJVPK-cTJEjwgJFHp3H7iwF0Mi2ES_-zQ/viewform?usp=sf_link

Here is a link to my website: https://www.stephaniewaldrop.com/

Questions: Please don't hesitate to reach out to Stephanie Waldrop — swaldrop@uw.edu. These responses will not be shared with anyone else.

Thank you!
Stephanie