Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo show & echo dot in same room

Echo show & echo dot in same room
« on: September 22, 2021, 11:12:31 pm »
My elderly mother has trouble hearing and seeing.  She has an echo show sitting near her chair which works well.  She is in an assisted living room, and I would like to put an echo dot near her bed so she can ask what time it is.  Without hearing aids in at night, she is too far away from the echo show to hear the answer for the time.  Will the two devices interfere with each other when they are only about 20 feet apart?

Re: Echo show & echo dot in same room
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2021, 08:21:52 am »
It could.  I have a couple in a room and it is not always the closest one that answers.   It all depends on location, direction faced, and other sounds in the room.   

AlanH

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2021, 09:56:10 am »
Give each device a different wake word?

Offline jwlv

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2021, 02:33:52 pm »
I have nearly a dozen Echo devices, ranging from Echo Show 5, Echo Dot gen 2, Echo Dot gen 3, and various others.

In my experience, the Echo Show 5 is the most deaf and the Echo Dot gen 2 has the best hearing. For example, I ask Alexa something while facing the the Echo Show 5 (3 ft in front of me) and the Echo Dot gen 2 (15 ft off to my right) would answer.

I would suggest getting exactly the same model if you are concerned about which device answers because their microphone sensitivities are not the same. If I knew this years ago, I would have gone with all the same devices.

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2021, 07:32:14 am »
I would just get her a DOT that has the clock in it.  The time display always shows...