Echo & Alexa Forums

Amazon Hardware event

Amazon Hardware event
« on: September 20, 2021, 06:48:18 pm »
Sept 28th is the date.  Wonder what new devices they have for us this year.

https://www.engadget.com/amazon-fall-hardware-event-september-28-181440028.html

AlanH

Re: Amazon Hardware event
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2021, 04:27:45 am »
Possibly a couple of new Kindle Paperwhites but I haven’t come across any leaks about Alexa devices yet.
https://www.theverge.com/2021/9/20/22683627/kindle-paperwhite-2021-signature-edition-6-8-inch-screen-wireless-charging

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2021, 10:15:59 am »
I don't know either, but the Alexa or Hue App has gone nutty again... about 6 out of 40 or more Bulbs quit responding to their normal names using the Echoes they work with the Hue app... but not with Alexa or voice control... Seems Echo related, But I fear the Bridge is too full for what I have and there was an update andthey had to dump some bulbs or something... Anyone else experience this problem today? Yesterday?
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2021, 01:49:13 pm »
I am still waiting for the indoor security drone from last year.   Maybe they will have a robotic smart dog or cat  instead.    Might be time to release an upgraded smart over that fixes some of the problem the current one has.     Maybe a panel that can hang on the wall that can be used instead of your voice.   but then a new kindle for reading which has leaked, maybe a new dot because of all the recent sales and out of stocks. 

Offline jwlv

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2021, 02:55:28 pm »
I'm guessing some new wearables, like a smart watch? I'd buy one if it looks elegant with a nice screen, long battery life, and full Alexa (not a watered down version). It doesn't even need to have a touch screen if Alexa works well on it. It'll just need a button to check the time and notifications, and another button to activate voice input. It will have to look nice. I wouldn't want a rubber sports watch.

Perhaps a better Echo Auto (the current one really sucks). One with a *loud* built-in speaker would sell me instantly!

Maybe an Echo Mirror of some sort for the bathroom.

David N

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2021, 02:04:22 pm »
What amazon desperately needs is a reworked app. The speed is pathetically slow. The show interfaces need work too. So I guess I'm more interested in the software at this point.

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2021, 05:00:33 pm »
What amazon desperately needs is a reworked app. The speed is pathetically slow. The show interfaces need work too. So I guess I'm more interested in the software at this point.

apps not too bad but it is hard to find some settings.  fortunately you can change some settings via voice. 

Offline jwlv

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2021, 03:56:11 pm »
The app has become too convoluted. Seems like they want to put everything Amazon in one app.

Anyway, today is the big reveal.

So they have this new roving robot with a screen for a face for $1000. Too expensive, doesn't look like it can do much, and it doesn't even have sufficient sensors for stairs, glass doors, sunken rooms, etc.

The flying camera they previewed a few years ago will be available soon via invite for $250. I'd buy one.

A 15" Echo Show. Same thing, bigger screen.

A small Echo Show (they call it Amazon Glow) that you can share and project an image, mainly to interact with kids remotely. No thanks! I think this was a knee-jerk reaction from Amazon.

Smart Thermostat, not bad but very late to the game. Good price though, at only $60. But are they going to bug you all the time to buy filters from Amazon or in some way "Amazon-it up" like they do with many of their products?

The rest of the stuff is not even worth mentioning.

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2021, 11:01:18 pm »
look like some of the rumors were true and some not.  I was really hoping for a soundbar.   I did ask for an invitation for the robot but I doubt I will order one.  Too expensive for something that is nothing but a rolling show.    Otherwise there is nothing else that really interest me.   

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2021, 07:17:37 pm »
The flying cam is definitely the one thing among them I think is worthy of attention. The "Big Show" an honorable mention, but nothing new except size... which I am interested in as well, but not terribly notable other than that...  put in my request for the invite. Hopefully it's not a year out like the Echo Auto was...
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

David N

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2021, 07:29:59 pm »
I truly believe that amazon has lost complete awareness in regards to their customer base.
Show 15, probably intended for a kitchen area. Why would you want it mounted on the wall? You will have to reach over counters, appliances, etc. If you did want to mount it, amazon should have designed a wall mount where you could just spin it 90 degrees like the Lenovo picture frame. I do find it quite ironic that the evening prior to the debut of this device amazon pushed out another buggy update to the shows that again disables viewing pictures.
The Halo update would be more respectable if they just came out and said "guys, we really screwed the pooch on our original design, we had no idea what we were doing when we designed and marketed a health band with no screen". What customers have really been asking for is an actual smart watch but no sign of that.
Customers have also been looking forward to a 2nd gen echo auto and studio but nope! And just what happened to the echo flex? Quite a clever little device.
The kid stuff, ? I'm not in a position to comment as we don't have kids.
The Ring drone, 5 minute flight time? Just put a $25 wyze cam in each room.
The robot. THIS IS JUST DAMN COOL. Completely unnecessary and an absolute waste of money but if I had a grand to burn, you bet! As for the name, Astro, it's clever being the name of the Jetsons dog and all but shouldn't it really have all the same wake words as current echos?
I also thought that they should have highlighted some of their recent product announcements. I'm looking forward to the new Kindle with a warmer backlight option. Many new Fire tv devices also coming out.
2021 has been by far the worst year in the devices having stable software. I have been chasing bugs in the system since February. While amazon has been just drifting, Apple has made huge gains and if they are not careful I can see Amazon losing their market dominance. Meanwhile Google is still hung up on "we really don't think you need sensors or buttons or cameras for triggering routines". With Matter on the horizon I see the smart home industry just as fragmented as ever.