Echo & Alexa Forums

Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge

DParker

Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
« on: May 21, 2016, 11:56:02 pm »
Well, I put off a phone upgrade for as long as I could, but my old Galaxy S4 forced the issue when it finally gave up the ghost Thursday night.  It had been spontaneously rebooting every few hours for two days prior to that and routinely overheating for weeks...and then finally just refused to boot at all.  I tried swapping in a new battery, but...he's dead, Jim.

So what's a tech gadget geek to do?  I hopped on Amazon, found the latest-and-greatest replacement in the form of a stupidly expensive unlocked S7 Edge (though for ~$150 less than an upgrade through AT&T, and without all of the annoying bloatware they load their phones up with) and had it in my hot little hands the next day (1pm today).

I still have a lot of setup to do and new features to explore, but so far.....niiiiiiice.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 11:58:39 pm by DParker »

Yoda_One

Re: Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 08:28:43 pm »
Enjoy.

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 06:19:41 am »
sounds like you let it overheat one too many times...at least it gave you an excuse to get that new phone. 

DParker

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 09:22:06 am »
sounds like you let it overheat one too many times...

Yeah, I guess that's what I get for having the power on.

mike27oct

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 02:46:30 pm »
FYI folks,

An overheating phone does not always mean a phone has gone bad and not easily fixable.  Last year, my not-yet 2 year old iPhone began overheating.  I went to Apple Store and a tech knew what was wrong.  It needed to have (not the OS, but) the deeper firmware re-installed.  He did so and problem has been gone since then.  Nice to have a Apple service center nearby, too.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 02:49:19 pm by mike27oct »

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 06:21:53 pm »
FYI folks,

An overheating phone does not always mean a phone has gone bad and not easily fixable.  Last year, my not-yet 2 year old iPhone began overheating.  I went to Apple Store and a tech knew what was wrong.  It needed to have (not the OS, but) the deeper firmware re-installed.  He did so and problem has been gone since then.  Nice to have a Apple service center nearby, too.

but you got to do something when it first starts overheating, not wait or it will damage the electronics.  I think that is what a lot of users do, they procrastinate.  With samsung, a lot of times it could be as simple as deleting the cache partition or replacing the battery before it permanently dies.     

DParker

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 06:36:45 pm »
but you got to do something when it first starts overheating, not wait or it will damage the electronics.  I think that is what a lot of users do, they procrastinate.  With samsung, a lot of times it could be as simple as deleting the cache partition or replacing the battery before it permanently dies.

Yeah...but not this time.

mike27oct

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 07:34:51 pm »
>>>  but you got to do something when it first starts overheating

Yea, a lot of car engines burned up when people kept driving after the radiator boiled over, too.  DUH!  Yes, I saved my phone by turning it off when it got hot, and only turned it on for a few minutes use until I felt heat.  It took a week to get to the Apple Store and get it fixed.  It was not a problem battery.  It was the firmware issue.

DParker

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2016, 03:01:38 pm »
P.S.

Wireless charging and unlocking via fingerprint recognition are the bee's knees.