Echo & Alexa Forums

Using two Echoes

Offline jwlv

Using two Echoes
« on: January 27, 2015, 08:18:03 pm »
Being that Amazon only allows each person to purchase one Echo device, I'm wondering if there are any problems if you have two Echoes?

What if I were to use the same account on two Echoes? Would there be any problems with that? How will the iPhone app behave if I was using one Echo in the living room and my wife is using the second Echo in the kitchen? I suppose I can use two accounts, but then the app will be bound to one particular Echo.

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of setup?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 05:42:08 am by jwlv »

Offline jwlv

Re: Using two Echoes
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 08:38:12 pm »
I guess I will answer my own question. My second Amazon Echo will be delivered in two days (I bought the first one from Ebay).
It doesn't look like there will be any problems using two units under one account. The Echo App gives you the option of adding more units and it all should work fine together. I'll give more details as soon as I get the second Amazon Echo.

Asyd

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 12:31:00 am »
I guess I will answer my own question. My second Amazon Echo will be delivered in two days (I bought the first one from Ebay).
It doesn't look like there will be any problems using two units under one account. The Echo App gives you the option of adding more units and it all should work fine together. I'll give more details as soon as I get the second Amazon Echo.

Thanks I was wondering the same thing; where in the Echo App is the option for adding multiple devices/more units?

Offline jwlv

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 03:58:48 am »

Thanks I was wondering the same thing; where in the Echo App is the option for adding multiple devices/more units?

I use the app on my iPhone. I assume the Android version is very similar.
In the app, just go to the Settings menu. The first item in Settings should be the name of your Amazon Echo. The second item is "Set up a new Echo". That's where you can add more Echo devices. As far as I can tell, there isn't a limit to how many Echos you can add.  Setting up a new one does not mean it will remove the old one. It'll just add to the list of Echo devices you have. Also, if you put two Echos in one room, you can give each one a different wake word. So for now, one can be Alexa and the other can be Amazon.

bassoprofundo

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 04:41:47 pm »
Can you get the two Echoes to play the same content at the same time?  Or do they operate entirely separately?

gadgetgal488

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 11:08:32 pm »
I bought my first Echo from Craig's List (yes, thankfully a very positive experience) and am expecting my unit  from Amazon in a couple of weeks. I've already gone into to the manage devices section on my Amazon account and renamed my 1st Echo so there won't be any conflict.

kmitchel

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 03:39:39 pm »
I just got my third Echo today (first one from eBay, second was from initial invite and third was from my other Amazon account).  They easily switch between the two profiles we have (different accounts).  I have not figured out how to play the same thing on two different Echoes at the same time.

jonjanisch

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 08:19:42 am »
If both Echos here you, will they perform duplicate requests?  Like if you say, "Alexa, add milk to the shopping list". I would imagine you will get two entries in the shopping list.

ScarlettPhoenix

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 01:00:01 pm »
You really should break out a new thread entitled "Two Echos".
I recently got my second echo.  I set her up in the kitchen while my original is in my master bedroom. We have a fairly large house and they're about 1500 sq. ft apart.
As I was setting up the second echo (purchased under my husband's Prime account), it initially came up as "His Echo". When the set up was over, it switched to "My 2nd echo".  Me likey.  The remote recognized both units before I put the batteries in it.

I can add items to the shopping list from either one and ask her to play music from either one. I can set timers from either one. No-I haven't tried syncing up music on both units yet.

mike091020

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 07:51:41 am »
Has anyone tried the opposite?  Adding a spouse (who uses the SAME Amazon ID) as a second user.  I'd love my wife to have it pickup playing HER music and adding to HER shopping list, etc.  So far no luck.  Just an error message saying "Error".

ScarlettPhoenix

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2015, 09:32:28 am »
In my Echo app, it lists my husband as him being in the same household as I am. Since he is a technological dinosaur who doesn't even have the Echo app installed on his (not so) smart phone, I don't know if he can add music to my (our) two echos. I will try and do my Dance of Enticement tonight to see if I can distract him long enough to install the app on his phone...   ;)