Echo & Alexa Forums

A Strange Coinicidence?

Offline jwlv

A Strange Coinicidence?
« on: July 05, 2021, 01:42:17 am »
This afternoon I was showing my son a video on Youtube (on my Roku) about the fireworks explosion that happened in Ocean City, Maryland. After the video ended, I pushed the home button on the Roku so it went back to the home screen where all on my Roku apps are. My Roku has the standard IR remote. It is not the newer voice remote. Then we started to talk about Luca, an animated movie. I said that I wanted to show him a video clip that explained the ending of Luca. So I went back to the Youtube app on my Roku. Low and behold, the main screen of Youtube showed Luca.

Coincidence? Was Alexa listening to us? Did Alexa tell Google/Youtube that we were talking about Luca? I immediately pointed this out to my son. We both thought it was kind of weird that Youtube's home screen showed Luca even though we've never searched for Luca on Youtube and we only talked about it a minute earlier.

I wonder what's going on here...

Re: A Strange Coinicidence?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2021, 08:23:34 am »
Pretty sure the mics on everything in your home are all on all the time. Cell phone to Alexa. I just added the latest, greatest Wifi mesh system (eero 6 pro tri-band - 3 stations) to my home yesterday... It is supposed to be Alexa enabled as well... So no matter what is heard by what, the whole mess will be tied together forever. But I have stellar WIFI now... all the way to the street out front and the alley out back and more. Granted I know it's overkill for my size home, but we have over 100 wifi items in the house now and streaming was getting difficult. You can never have too much overkill. I have had the same "coincidences" here for a few years now... not surprised at any stuff related any more.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2021, 10:09:41 am »
several things could have been listening including your roku and your smartphone.   Maybe you have a nest smoke detector that is listening because they too have microphones.  Think about it, even some thermostats have microphones.   Then there are security cams.  maybe it was alexa but there are just too many other possibilities.  Users tend to blame the most obvious. 

Offline jwlv

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2021, 12:08:23 pm »
True. True.

I do have several Wyze cams that could have been listening. I also have a Nest thermostat. It's a 1st gen, so I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a microphone. My Roku & remote does not have a mic. I have a few Arlo cams, but they are outside, which probably couldn't hear me. There were several iPhones in the house at the time. I have an older Tivo, which does not have voice capability, so no mic. I have a Ring doorbell that might have heard me. We were about 15 feet from the front door.

Or maybe none of the above and it was just a coincidence since Luca is a popular movie right now. :)