Echo & Alexa User Discussions and Support Forums

When a person is not breathing, permanent brain damage begins after 4 minutes and death in 6 minutes after that. Can you count on help arriving before that time? Learning proper CPR techniques is easy and you can learn it in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.

by the way article

by the way article
« on: June 27, 2021, 03:16:53 pm »
I ran across the following article about disabling the by the way feature - interesting read.   Basically it says unless you turn on kids mode, you can only limit it.   With all the hate and I am sure all the feedback, I wonder why you cannot have the option to disable it.

https://www.cnet.com/home/smart-home/amazon-echo-how-to-turn-off-alexas-unwanted-by-the-way-suggestions/

Offline jwlv

Re: by the way article
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2021, 02:39:42 am »
I fully expect one day when I ask for the weather or the time, Alexa will say "by the way, would you like me to order an umbrella?" or "by the way, you'd look great with a shiny new watch. Would you like to order one?" as Amazon tries to push all their wares on us.

I've already abandoned my Fire tablet (sold it) and 4 Fire TV sticks (collecting dust in my file cabinet) in favor of iPad and Roku because I couldn't stand how much Amazon tries to push Amazon content to me when I didn't ask for it or want it.

Re: by the way article
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2021, 05:14:00 am »
I fully expect one day when I ask for the weather or the time, Alexa will say "by the way, would you like me to order an umbrella?" or "by the way, you'd look great with a shiny new watch. Would you like to order one?" as Amazon tries to push all their wares on us.

that is why with a couple of exceptions, I try to make sure what I get will work with google.   I have a set of google home devices for a quick change over if needed.   But I would keep one alexa just for the smart oven  :-)   so far the frames has escaped the by the way and ads nonsense. 
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 07:43:18 am by renegade600 »