Echo & Alexa Forums

by the way article

by the way article
« on: June 27, 2021, 03:16:53 pm »
I ran across the following article about disabling the by the way feature - interesting read.   Basically it says unless you turn on kids mode, you can only limit it.   With all the hate and I am sure all the feedback, I wonder why you cannot have the option to disable it.

https://www.cnet.com/home/smart-home/amazon-echo-how-to-turn-off-alexas-unwanted-by-the-way-suggestions/

Offline jwlv

Re: by the way article
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2021, 02:39:42 am »
I fully expect one day when I ask for the weather or the time, Alexa will say "by the way, would you like me to order an umbrella?" or "by the way, you'd look great with a shiny new watch. Would you like to order one?" as Amazon tries to push all their wares on us.

I've already abandoned my Fire tablet (sold it) and 4 Fire TV sticks (collecting dust in my file cabinet) in favor of iPad and Roku because I couldn't stand how much Amazon tries to push Amazon content to me when I didn't ask for it or want it.

Re: by the way article
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2021, 05:14:00 am »
I fully expect one day when I ask for the weather or the time, Alexa will say "by the way, would you like me to order an umbrella?" or "by the way, you'd look great with a shiny new watch. Would you like to order one?" as Amazon tries to push all their wares on us.

that is why with a couple of exceptions, I try to make sure what I get will work with google.   I have a set of google home devices for a quick change over if needed.   But I would keep one alexa just for the smart oven  :-)   so far the frames has escaped the by the way and ads nonsense. 
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 07:43:18 am by renegade600 »