Echo & Alexa Forums

Momentary switch device control

sspeedstreet

Momentary switch device control
« on: June 26, 2021, 06:04:37 pm »
Hey all! I'm a newbe to Alexa and have a question. I want to have a video doorbell at our business and be able to remotely unlock the front door. Problem is the device requires a momentary on/off signal to operate. Can this be controlled thru Alexa? Thanks for your help.

Offline jwlv

Re: Momentary switch device control
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2021, 09:32:26 pm »
That is too general of a question.
What kind of lock is it and how does it lock and unlock now?

If only power is required to unlock the door, you could just use a smart plug to turn on the power to the lock. Then you can also tell the smart plug to turn off the power so it will lock the door.

But be careful of how you want to do this. If other people can hear what you say to Alexa to unlock the door, they can do it as well. Maybe even from outside the door if they shout.

sspeedstreet

Re: Momentary switch device control
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2021, 11:46:38 pm »
Thanks for the insights. The lock is not installed yet.
https://www.uhs-hardware.com/products/adams-rite-steel-hawk-4300-e-latch-electrified-deadlatch-1-1-8-backset-surface-mount-std-jamb-aluminum-12-16-24-vdc-1?variant=31485934501955/
The lock is released by a momentary electrical signal, starting a programmable countdown (5 to 30 seconds) til it relocks.
The problem of lack of security with the audible command had occurred to me. I guess it makes more sense to hard wire simple doorbell buttons to activate the unlock. Thanks again.