Echo & Alexa Forums

Amazon Echo Kids Edition

Elliot

Amazon Echo Kids Edition
« on: June 13, 2021, 06:57:59 am »
Hi - hope someone can help me.

Last December I purchased an Amazon Echo Dot 2nd Generation Kids Edition from Virgin Megastore in Doha, Qatar, where I am currently living. I am from the UK and have a UK Amazon Account. I have an Echo Dot 1st Generation which I brought out with me, which works fine. The Kids Edition I bought for my son also worked fine for 6 months, up until last week when it suddenly started asking me to complete Amazon Kids setup in the Alexa app. But when I select the device in my app, Amazon Kids is not displaying as an option to select.

I spoke to Amazon - they are saying that the Kids Edition will only work in the US, and that there must have been a recent software update which is now detecting the location. They say there is no way to finish setting it up here in Qatar. I have tried setting the device location and timezone to the US, I've tried using the app on my phone with a VPN set to the US. I've tried factory resetting the device. None of this has worked. Amazon say that none of their devices work in Qatar - but this is clearly not true because everyone I know out here has an Alexa and they work fine, as does my other Echo Dot. I wish I hadn't bought the Kids Edition now - I only bought it because I thought my son would like the rainbow stripes. If it was a regular one I wouldn't be having this problem.

Can anyone suggest any workaround to solve this? I can potentially give the device to an American friend who is about to travel to the US for the summer. Amazon have said if she completes the setup, it should remember the setting when I reconnect it here in Qatar. But I am sceptical. Thanks.