Echo & Alexa Forums

Philips smart bulb

Pablo56

Philips smart bulb
« on: May 04, 2021, 07:28:58 am »
How do  connect it to Alexa etc. No paperwork with this or instructions to download an app. Has blutooth and zigbee. There is a mention of Hugh bridge on the box.

I don't use blutooth anywhere.

Re: Philips smart bulb
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2021, 07:20:22 pm »
Hue Bulbs definitely have an app to download and help with the assignment of rooms. Once all working within the Hue app, you can ask Alexa to discover devices and ti will find them and operate them as assigned in Hue app.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

Pablo56

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2021, 04:03:02 am »
As I said their is no paper with the bulb. I searched for a Philips Hue app. When I run this  get a message...

Get Started by Powering your Hue bridge and hook it up to tyour wi-fi router via the included cable. [What is a bridge and how is it hooked up]

If this device is on the same wi-fi network we will find your hue bridge automaticaly.

Does this mean I have to purchase a hue bridge as well? Other bulbs talk directly to the router.

AlanH

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 02:15:27 pm »
A few seconds of Googling would have provided most of the answers to your questions.
https://www.the-ambient.com/guides/philips-hue-essential-guide-smart-lights-143

Offline jwlv

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2021, 06:44:09 pm »
Hue bulbs require a separate bridge. Most other bulbs do not require a separate device. There are advances and disadvantages to this.

Hue will still work if your internet is down. That is because you can still control it locally through the bridge.

Bulbs that connect directly to your WiFi router will not work when your internet is down.