Echo & Alexa Forums

Routine to turn off all lights after power outage

Routine to turn off all lights after power outage
« on: September 05, 2020, 09:50:45 am »
Been a lot of threads on this subject but no solutions I can find, yet.
Have an Echo studio and several Hue lights (no Hue hub).
I know, by default, when there is a power outage the lights turn on after power is restored.
Does anyone know of a way, with my setup, to turn them off when power returns?
I've thought of setting one light in my attic, that never is on, and trying to set up a routine that turns off all lights if that light comes on (presumably after a power outage, when power returns). But I can't find a way to do this.
Any suggestions or help would be appreciated on how to accomplish what I want to do.

Re: Routine to turn off all lights after power outage
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2020, 10:14:49 am »
not sure what you are asking but telling alexa to turn off all hue will do it.  or are you wanting it to do it automatically without a voice command?   in that case, it would be difficult to create a command since it could take a while for the network to restart. 

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 06:14:03 pm »
not sure what you are asking but telling alexa to turn off all hue will do it.  or are you wanting it to do it automatically without a voice command?   in that case, it would be difficult to create a command since it could take a while for the network to restart.
No, this is under the assumption that I'm not at home and there is a power outage. If I'm on vacation, I don't want all of the lights on in the house 24/7.  Eventually, when the power returns and network comes back up, I'm trying to find a way (routine?) that sees one light on (that is never on; ie-attic), and when that light is on, the routine tells all lights to turn off (including the "tattle tale" attic light).

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2020, 07:36:26 pm »
I completely forgot about this - if you have all hue bulbs, you should be able to go into the hue app and use the power on behavior settings so the lights will turn off after power comes back on. 

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2020, 11:41:58 pm »
I completely forgot about this - if you have all hue bulbs, you should be able to go into the hue app and use the power on behavior settings so the lights will turn off after power comes back on.
renegade600, I did test that. DL'd the hue app, connected to a hue bulb via bt and set it to perform the last state it was on before the power went off.  I tested it several times with it off and unplugged the lamp for a few moments. In most cases it turned on when plugged back in, once it didn't. So that didn't seem reliable. It.should.just.work.
Frustrating.

g8waylee

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2021, 08:47:24 am »
I created a routine to turn all lights off every day at sunrise. The lights may stay on for a few hours after the power comes back on but at least they won't be on 24/7 if I'm not there.