Echo & Alexa Forums

Amazon shopping basket

Pablo56

Amazon shopping basket
« on: March 08, 2021, 07:27:06 am »
Hi. Had Alexa for a few weeks now. Like using the shopping basket. Now Amazon whants to take over control and force me to shop with Amazon. I don't want to buy a bottle of milk from amazon. I want the shopping basket on my mobile. Is this an Amazon take over scam.

Re: Amazon shopping basket
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2021, 01:30:41 pm »
cannot blame amazon on this.  sounds like you are using the wrong command to add to your shopping list.   If you use shopping basket, it will add to amazons shopping cart.   You need to say - add soso to shopping list if you want to add to your shopping list.  . 

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2021, 07:29:37 pm »
My wife and I use a common list for each location we shop. Sam's Club, WalMart, Tom Thumb (local Grocery store) and a couple others.
we use these commands
"Alexa, Add Eggs to Tom Thumb List"
"Alexa, Add Milk to WalMart List"
Alexa, add Water to Sams List"

We also have 4 other lists we add things to for our next trip to that location. There's also a "To Do" list and a Shopping list. The shoppiing list is also just a list, but if you use amazon shopping through Alexa, that may be how the basket is dedicated to Amazon. I don't use Amazon's Shopping basket for anything. I only buy from Amazon by Computer, not by voice. I just usethe lists for everything I need to go get in person.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

Pablo56

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2021, 01:54:31 pm »
No this is not the case. I have been saying “ALEXA ADD $%%^& TO MY SHOPPING BASKET”
The answer has always been “I have added $%%^& to your shopping basket”.

Since Amazon has now gone into the supermarket industry, it wants to add an expensive granary loaf at £5.20 to my amazon shopping basket”. I only said bread. I did not specify what type. This is clearly Amazon anti-competitive strategy.

This used to work with the same words. How can you suggest that I am saying things wrong when it worked at the start.

Pablo56

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2021, 01:59:42 pm »
1) Why did alexa add an expensive granery loaf to my basket when I only said bread?
2) Why did "Alexa add $$%%^ to my shopping basket work to start with and then stopped?
3) Why not "... Add to my amazon shopping basket" That would be sensible.

4) Tell me what I shuold say to Alexa. It used to work.

Maybe add to my mobile phone and not to the amazon shopping basket.

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2021, 07:33:02 pm »
Changes happen all the time on how Alexa/echos work. This is due to updates and "improvements" they roll out without any warning usually, causing simple things to become complex. Keep in mind as you continue to use the Voice controlled assistance, that you are part of a large base of bete testers that work for "free" for Amazon, and that alone allows them to be able to sell the assistants at affordable prices for your testing the product out for them... If they had done all the work up front, we wouldn;t have these assistants yet, and they would be very very very expensive when made avaialble for public consumption. AS we work with the little devices, we teach Amazon how we work. Not everyone works the same so they have to come to many compromises, and I suspect sometimes those compromises fall in favor of a programmer's wife or an executive's kids or something. It works how they make it work, causing us, the beta testers to make changes in the way we talk to their toys.
It's kind of up to you as the user, to figuire out how to make it do what *YOU* want it to do, maybe getting help from other users (such as this forum) to help shorten the path to getting the resulots you like. If you ask "WHY?" much, then you will be very frustrated often. If you ask "What do I say to get____" then expect more than one approach and try a couple of them out to see if they work for you. I have also noticed that even if I tell my mother-in-law, the exact phrase to use, she will alter it a tiny bit most times, because she thinks she's smarter than everyone else, and often gets a response she did not desire. Details are details. Some are more trubling than others. Give it your best shot, and get back with us with what you got in response, and we'll move on from there to try and help you. Also try and maybe be open minded enough to use the information I have taken the time to share above to make changes in how you talk to the devices, and hopefully we can get you the results you want (at least for a few weeks... before they do another update and mess things up again...
 LOL)
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
One Ring Doorbell Pro

Pablo56

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2021, 07:46:23 am »
Okay. I get it.
Iphoned Amazon about this and their reply was that it is a learning curve and alexa learns from me.

Only problem is that I never use the amazon shoping basket so it could not learn from me. I Think this is anti-compedative based.

Pablo56

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2021, 08:55:41 am »
Problem solved "Shopping basket" and Shopping list"

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2021, 07:43:16 pm »
Problem solved "Shopping basket" and Shopping list"

Thanks for the update. Glad you got it sorted out. So many times folks ask for help and never let us know how things turned out. Your post will help others figure this out Too!
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
One Ring Doorbell Pro