Echo & Alexa Forums

All my smart devices are suddenly offline

simonic

All my smart devices are suddenly offline
« on: February 19, 2021, 02:03:31 pm »
Hi.  I wonder if there is a genius here who can help me with this problem.

I have had an Amazon EchoPlus for over a year now controlling 4 Innr bulbs and 4 Smartthings plugs.  Then one day I woke up and everything was offline.  And I can't get it back on.

I have reset the bulbs and the plugs numerous times.
Restarted Alexa and my router several times
Deleted the devices and tried to reconnect several times.  But Alexa can't find them.

This happened once before a few months ago, but I reset everything, Alexa found it all and it worked fine.

But now I have reached the end of my options.

One weird thing:  Alexa reports no devices found.  Then sometimes a few minutes later seems to randomly find the light bulbs.  However, when I try to use them they maybe switch off once and then become unresponsive.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.
Simonic

Re: All my smart devices are suddenly offline
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2021, 04:24:22 pm »
will they work with the bulbs and smartplugs own app

Offline jwlv

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 08:38:03 pm »
I've read that many people have had difficulties with the Echo Plus losing devices, not connecting, or any number of issues with smart devices. It all seems to be some sort of issue with the built-in hub in the Echo Plus.

The suggested solution is to go with a genuine Philips Hue Hub or a SmartThings Hub and by-pass the one built-in the Echo Plus.

simonic

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2021, 12:25:08 pm »
I haven't tried it with their own app and I'm not keen on adding more complexity and cost by getting more hubs. 

The thing is this has been working fine for over a year - why would it suddenly stop working?

And are there any bulbs that work consistently with Alexa.

Thanks
Simon   

simonic

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2021, 01:56:16 pm »
OK in case this is useful to anyone else I have managed to solve this....  for now.

I reset all devices then did a factory reset of Alexa.   Then did a "discover devices".  Some devices came online (3 Innr bulbs).   I still had some plugs that weren't being discovered so I plugged them in right next to Alexa and did a device search.  One by one I got them back online.

This is a real major pain when these devices are supposed to make your life easier, so hopefully it won't happen again.

Simon

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2021, 03:07:43 pm »
I've had a very similar experience and after 2 days of serious troubleshooting and calls to Amazon support, I have most of my devices back online but a couple still not. Plus I still need to go through my list to try to correct incorrect generic names.  I've only had my setup for 7 months.  If this happens again me thinks Alexa and I will be separating and I might start seeing Mr. Google.