Echo & Alexa Forums

multiple account frustrations

urbanachiever

multiple account frustrations
« on: February 10, 2021, 09:52:03 am »
I feel like I am missing something simple.  My wife and I have a household Prime account.  We each have separate logins to Amazon.com.  The problem is when we get or set up a new device that pairs to Alexa I have to log out of my Alexa account (hubby@gmail.com) and login with her account (wife@gmail.com).  If not I have to tell Alexa to switch accounts just to turn off a light because its not found in wife's account. 

Is there a way to get Alexa to recognize devices that are paired no matter what account we are signed in as in the app?  I get the whole music thing, one license so I have to switch to Wife (main Amazon account) to access some streaming services.  But controlling devices should not be this difficult.   

Is the only way to make sure we set everything up correctly is to log into my phone Alexa App with wife's account when setting up devices?

Offline jwlv

Re: multiple account frustrations
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2021, 11:55:16 am »
A household can only have one primary user, the one in charge of the household (the admin user). It sounds like your wife is the primary user. In that case your wife’s account must be used to add new devices which is then shared with the household. If devices are added from other household accounts they only exist for that user and not for the entire household.