Echo & Alexa Forums

Motion Sensors that turn lights on AND OFF!

dishon

Motion Sensors that turn lights on AND OFF!
« on: February 12, 2021, 01:23:56 pm »
I have tried a number of motion sensors and they all turn lights on, usually after a few seconds but none that actually then turn lights off after a period of no motion detected. Whilist all sensors can turn lights on in their own app as well as in Alexa, none have the programming to turn off in their own app so I'm using the Alexa no motion detected routine. However, as I say it doesn't work. I have the current Echo Dots but without a hub. I'm reluctant to buy a hub based sensor unless I know that it will work.

I see some people on here have managed it so what devices are people using?
Did it require any special tricks?
How reliable are the sensors in switching off?

Thanks in advance,
Stephen

Re: Motion Sensors that turn lights on AND OFF!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2021, 01:30:12 pm »
I have the hue motion sensor and it turns the lights on and off with no problems.  I have it setup in the hue app, not alexa.   

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2021, 07:27:45 pm »
I have the same and was just talking to my wife about adding one in our Laundry room as well. We only have one in our bedroom closet because of the amount of traffic it gets and the automation is great. Not only can we turn on the light in our closet, but we can turn it on at full bright at one range of time and one at "nightlight" level during another range, with dimming after 30 seconds of no motion, and a full "OFF" after 30 more seconds of no motion detected.

Mine is a Philips Hue sensor as well, and I also use the Hue app to set up the way it works as it is a more robust set of controls.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2021, 08:52:20 am »
I do this also - but with a routine in the Alexa app.  The routine turns the light on when sensing motion, 'waits' for 5 minutes and then turns off the light. 

dishon

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2021, 01:22:33 pm »
Thanks All,

I do seem to keep being sent back to Philips Hue.

Do you have them working with 3rd party lights? Philips Hue are lights are eye watering expensive and the "bright" white are dull compared to the others I have.

Ta,
Stephen

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2021, 04:09:12 pm »
White/Ambience aren;t as bad as the color ones... but they are a little expensive. I have all Hue lighting and everything works seamlessly... so I couldn;t say whether it would work the same through 3rd party stuff. Good luck with your solution...
Thanks All,

I do seem to keep being sent back to Philips Hue.

Do you have them working with 3rd party lights? Philips Hue are lights are eye watering expensive and the "bright" white are dull compared to the others I have.

Ta,
Stephen
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

Offline jwlv

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2021, 05:23:08 pm »
A little expensive? Philips Hue is outrageously expensive!