Echo & Alexa Forums

My Echo spoke without being spokn to...

additude

My Echo spoke without being spokn to...
« on: May 15, 2016, 06:41:31 am »
I had not talked to the Echo since the day before.
I am in the living room with the TV on... been watching it for maybe an hour and a half or more.
My Echo is to the right front of me in the direction of the TV, maybe 6-7 feet away.. The TV is on the wall, maybe 15 feet away kind of behind the Echo but a little to the left.
Then all of a sudden I see my Echo light up, I notice the locator is in my direction.. then the Echo says, "You're Welcome"... the Echo's light goes out...
I'm like thinking, what the schnell Mel ???
I thought maybe something was said on the TV that activated the Echo.. so I rewind the TV a few minutes, re-play it...but nothing happened to the Echo.
I went into my echo account at amazon and no commands or nothing since the day before....
Weird....

Vonda Z

Re: My Echo spoke without being spokn to...
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 08:27:49 am »
That happened to me, once, too. I was looking outside at all the rain coming down and I said to myself, "Well, at least it is not snow," and Echo says, "There is a 55% chance of snow in {My City Here} today." No wake word (Echo in my case) spoken at all.

additude

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 08:33:29 am »
Thanks Vonda...

I had to ask myself if it was just a figment of my imagination....

It's welcome to know I am not alone.....

TheFallenAngel

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 12:28:22 pm »
That happened to me, once, too. I was looking outside at all the rain coming down and I said to myself, "Well, at least it is not snow," and Echo says, "There is a 55% chance of snow in {My City Here} today." No wake word (Echo in my case) spoken at all.
Maybe you said “Eh well... " which is understood as "Echo" :)

Cheers,
Alex

mike27oct

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 12:34:51 pm »
These kinds of things have been reported happening to a few others here, and often it can be attributed to a Bluetooth of a device being left on somewhere in the home, either a phone, PC, etc.

DParker

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2016, 01:21:23 pm »
Then all of a sudden I see my Echo light up, I notice the locator is in my direction.. then the Echo says, "You're Welcome"... the Echo's light goes out...

If that's all it did then it most likely heard something it interpreted as, "Alexa, thank you."  "You're welcome" is a standard Echo response to that.  There's no reason to think a rogue bluetooth connection had anything to do with it.  That's just mike's one-trick-pony answer for everything.

additude

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2016, 02:56:49 pm »

These kinds of things have been reported happening to a few others here, and often it can be attributed to a Bluetooth of a device being left on somewhere in the home, either a phone, PC, etc.
Mike... I do not have a Bluetooth device attached to my Echo... but I have read this before also....
Thanks

If that's all it did then it most likely heard something it interpreted as, "Alexa, thank you."  "You're welcome" is a standard Echo response to that.  There's no reason to think a rogue bluetooth connection had anything to do with it.  That's just mike's one-trick-pony answer for everything.

Well I just said, "Alexa Thank You" and the response was "My Pleasure".... and when I say "Alexa, you're welcome" Alexa answers "Great!".....

But I didn't say anything to my Echo.... I've said several things without starting with "Alexa" and I never get a response.

What does your Alexa do?

shew.., zee mysterie continues....

Thanks

DParker

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2016, 03:36:48 pm »
Well I just said, "Alexa Thank You" and the response was "My Pleasure".... and when I say "Alexa, you're welcome" Alexa answers "Great!".....

But I didn't say anything to my Echo.... I've said several things without starting with "Alexa" and I never get a response.

What does your Alexa do?

shew.., zee mysterie continues....

Thanks

Perhaps it was unclear phrasing on my part.  When I said "You're welcome" is "a standard Echo response" to "Thank you" I meant that it was one of multiple responses it/she gives.  Another that I've gotten is, "Any time."

mike27oct

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2016, 03:49:36 pm »
>>>  That's just mike's one-trick-pony answer for everything.

Uncalled for remark.  Grow up.

DParker

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2016, 04:14:53 pm »
>>>  That's just mike's one-trick-pony answer for everything.

Uncalled for remark.  Grow up.

Troll.

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2016, 05:29:11 pm »
I had not talked to the Echo since the day before.
I am in the living room with the TV on... been watching it for maybe an hour and a half or more.
My Echo is to the right front of me in the direction of the TV, maybe 6-7 feet away.. The TV is on the wall, maybe 15 feet away kind of behind the Echo but a little to the left.
I'm like thinking, what the schnell Mel ???
I thought maybe something was said on the TV that activated the Echo.. so I rewind the TV a few minutes, re-play it...but nothing happened to the Echo.
I went into my echo account at amazon and no commands or nothing since the day before....
Weird....

it was lonely since its been a couple of days since you talked..

but it is a valid trick pony because he is right, it does happen. 

DParker

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2016, 05:39:12 pm »

The fact that Echos occasionally reconnect to other bluetooth devices with which they've been paired does not make it a valid candidate as an explanation for every unexpected behavior, especially considering the behavior in question.  The Echo didn't spontaneously begin playing music or any other type of streaming audio you'd expect from such a connection...nor did the OP report hearing the Echo give notification of a bluetooth connection being made.  The light ring activated, indicating that it heard its wake word and was listening for command input.  It then issued a single two-word phrase that happens to also be a normal, well-known canned response to "Alexa, thank you."

Weird....

I neglected to address this part.  Not all interactions with the Echo show up in the log.  For instance, "Alexa, thank you" and the corresponding response won't show up.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 05:42:36 pm by DParker »

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2016, 05:49:45 pm »

The fact that Echos occasionally reconnect to other bluetooth devices with which they've been paired does not make it a valid candidate as an explanation for every unexpected behavior, especially considering the behavior in question.  The Echo didn't spontaneously begin playing music or any other type of streaming audio you'd expect from such a connection...nor did the OP report hearing the Echo give notification of a bluetooth connection being made.  The light ring activated, indicating that it heard its wake word and was listening for command input.  It then issued a single two-word phrase that happens to also be a normal, well-known canned response to "Alexa, thank you."

but it does happen and since it is not common knowledge it is good to let the user know that it is a possibility to consider.   It is no different than me always saying to check the history under settings to see if maybe there was a stray command from somewheres.  I would have in this thread if he did not already mention checking them.   After all, nobody here has esp to know what the person knows or what?