Echo & Alexa Forums

Software update

kmitchel

Software update
« on: June 10, 2015, 03:43:26 pm »
My new Echo arrived today and I've noticed that the voice on this Echo is different than the other two.  The sound almost has too much bass.  I'm hoping that the software update will improve the sound quality since the other two Echoes in the house don't have this issue.  Is there a way to trigger the update, or do I just have to let it update on its own?

Has anyone with multiple Echoes had this problem where the voice is difficult to understand?

tvBilly

Re: Software update
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 09:31:21 pm »
Mine just came today too, so I have the same lack of experience as you, but I seem to recall reading (online) that (1) the Echo checks once a night for updates by itself, and (2) you can "force" an update check at any time by pushing the action mute button on the top (turning on the ring in red) and leaving it pushed the mute on for at least a half hour.

Don't know if this works or not, but it's easy enough to try. Mine didn't do anything, but since it just came today, it's probably got the current firmware. Mine is: 2530

« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 12:23:25 am by tvBilly »

Offline jwlv

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 11:08:22 pm »
I don't know how to force an update. But the Echo will update itself within a few hours of plugging it in.
As of 6/10/2015, the current version is 2530. You can check your version by starting the Echo App, go to Settings, click the name of your Echo, then scroll down until you see the Echo software version.

kmitchel

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 09:59:28 am »
Yep, I left it alone for an hour and it did get updated to the current version.  The bad part is that the speaker issue wasn't a part of the upgrade and the unit is defective.  Amazon is swapping it out for a new one.  I'm just glad I had other units to compare it to in order to determine it was broken!