Echo & Alexa Forums

A Push Button to activate Alexa?

Ed_B

A Push Button to activate Alexa?
« on: January 07, 2021, 04:26:07 pm »
Here's the situation: Phone rings and until I answer it I don't know if it's going to be a confidential call or not. So it would be inconvenient to verbally instruct Alexa to turn on the Alexa enabled "Do No Enter" signs each time the phone rings. Now here's my problem, I answer the phone and the caller requires confidentiality so I need to enable the signs. Since I'm on the phone it would seem weird for me to say "Alexa, enable Confidential signs" while the caller is on the phone. I'd really like to just have a button to press on my desk that would enable Alexa to light 3 grouped Alexa enabled signs. Any advice or products to guide me towards?

Offline jwlv

Re: A Push Button to activate Alexa?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2021, 07:38:02 pm »
Yep, Echo Buttons can do just that. You set up a routine that uses the button as a trigger. One button to turn on the lights/signs and another button to turn them off.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072C4KCQH

Now the bad news. Amazon doesn't make or sell them any more. You might still be able to find some used ones on Ebay or from someone locally.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2021, 07:48:01 pm »
Here's an alternative:

If you have a Ring alarm system, you could use a door/window sensor to trigger a routine. So you could place one of those small magnetic sensors next to the phone. If it's a confidential call, move the magnet away from the sensor and your "do not enter" signs will turn on. Move the magnet back and the signs turn off.

I imagine other sensors can do the same. But keep in mind that not every sensor or manufacturer are supported and only certain ones can be used as a trigger in Alexa routines. I only mention the Ring alarm window/door sensor because I use it myself and it can be used as a trigger in routines. For example, I have a routine that is triggered by a Ring door sensor at my front door that announces "front door open" whenever someone opens that door.

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2021, 11:02:48 am »
a couple of alternative ways without using buttons or your voice include using another phone or tablet to turn on/off.  Install the alexa app on your win10 computer to turn on/off