Echo & Alexa Forums

Changing Alexa's name

joanellen76

Changing Alexa's name
« on: March 03, 2016, 04:51:27 pm »
I just got an Amazon Firestick with voice remote, I have a Echo already (which I LOVE). I thought that I had them far enough apart that the Echo wouldn't pick up the commands to Firestick, unfortunately I don't! I think the only remedy I can figure out is changing Alexa's name, has any one successfully done this? If so, how? Any help would be much appreciated. It's funny now but probably won't be for long.

Offline jwlv

Re: Changing Alexa's name
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 04:58:29 pm »
When you are using the voice remote to talk to your Fire TV, you don't have begin with "Alexa."
Just press and hold the voice button and say what you want. E.g. [pressing button] "What is the weather today?"

But if you really want to change Alexa's name, you can do so through the Alexa app. Tap the menu icon, scroll down to Settngs, select the device you want to change, scroll down to the Wake Word. You'll have three choices for the wake word: Alexa, Amazon, or Echo.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 05:02:33 pm by jwlv »

joanellen76

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 05:02:55 pm »
Great, thank you. When I was setting it up and it was demonstrating what it could do every time it said Alexa I had the Echo answering too.

vilis2013

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 07:24:38 pm »
Cool, I didn't know they added Echo as a 3rd option... gonna be useful when I have Echo and Dot in the same room!

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 07:50:10 pm »
hopefully they will also add the name dot and tap to the list.  I think dot would become very popular if they do. 

TheFallenAngel

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 01:40:17 pm »
I am actually hoping for Dotty, not just Dot :)

Cheers,
Alex

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 03:09:15 pm »
I am actually hoping for Dotty, not just Dot :)

Cheers,
Alex

if they let dot work, dotty should also work.