Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo Dot won't adjust it's volume only Echo Flex?

RedPenguin

Echo Dot won't adjust it's volume only Echo Flex?
« on: December 31, 2020, 04:17:14 pm »
I have a problem that I can't seem to figure out in the Alexa App at all.

I've been using my Echo Dot 2nd Gen for a while now.

I recently got an Echo Flex in the same room for convenience and I noticed if my Dot is playing music, it can't usually hear me to pause. So I go "Pause Echo Dot" to the Flex or vice-versa.

Yet today I randomly can't seem to tell my Dot to adjust it's own volume like before. When I say "Echo, volume 6" or something, she changes the volume of the Flex instead.

Sometimes I can say "Echo set Echo Dot volume 6" but that doesn't always work.

Where do you fix which device you mean for volume? I'm used to "volume" meaning device I'm talking to not another.

Re: Echo Dot won't adjust it's volume only Echo Flex?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2020, 08:18:12 pm »
That is why when I used to have dots, I would play music through bluetooth speakers so the dots can hear commands.   My only suggestion would be to change the wake name on one of them and hope for the best.   

RedPenguin

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2021, 12:08:52 am »
They have a different wake work each.

Dot is "Echo" and Flex is "Computer."

The Dot answers as "Echo" but strangely when tell it directly to turn volume up or down, it adjusts the Flex instead.

Yet if I talk to the Flex it doesn't do the opposite and turn the Dot up or down.

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2021, 07:52:33 am »
They have a different wake work each.

Dot is "Echo" and Flex is "Computer."

The Dot answers as "Echo" but strangely when tell it directly to turn volume up or down, it adjusts the Flex instead.

Yet if I talk to the Flex it doesn't do the opposite and turn the Dot up or down.

you sure you setup the right wake name for each?   because no way it would happen as you claim.  if it really is, you need to contact amazon, otherwise just use the wake name that works for the dot to change the volume. 
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 08:11:07 am by renegade600 »

David N

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2021, 10:46:14 am »
Since both units are in the same room, you really should create a group in the app and include both echos. Then when you address either one the sound will duck and they will hear you much better.
Since the flex has such a poor speaker, I would set the dot up as the preferred speaker for the flex.
Now if you are speaking to the flex and you want to change the volume on just the dot, the proper command would be "(wake word), (name of dot) volume 1-10 or volume up/down" . As I understand your naming system the exact command to flex is "Computer, echo dot volume 5" or whatever volume you wish.

RedPenguin

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2021, 05:52:00 pm »

you sure you setup the right wake name for each?   because no way it would happen as you claim.  if it really is, you need to contact amazon, otherwise just use the wake name that works for the dot to change the volume.

I guess that I will have to contact Amazon then.

I tried changing the Wake Words for each to various ones. Like I told the Flex to go as Amazon and Dot to go as Alexa.

The only thing that seems to fix it, is if I take the Flex out of the Room Group.

The second I put the Flex back in, issue is back.

RedPenguin

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2021, 07:32:17 pm »
Sorry I forgot to mention that they were in the same group the whole time.

Amazon Chat noticed the Dot needed a "Volume Software" Update and it was stuck at pending.

They had me unplug for 1hr and retry but no luck.

Then they said try unplugging again but right before that my Dot got stuck when my one Access Point rebooted itself.

I noticed it was on a different AP than the one my Smart Stuff is on, so I moved the Dot to the AP my Flex, Plug, and Bulbs are on.

Instantly the issue was fixed and Chat said the update is no longer pending. :)

RedPenguin

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2021, 09:10:48 pm »
Oh well....

I guess the only reason that it was "fixed" was because changing the WiFi just took it out of the Group.

Once the Dot added itself back, problem happened again.