Echo & Alexa Forums

Unable to change "wake word" on my Galaxy A20

dlwmacgregor

Unable to change "wake word" on my Galaxy A20
« on: December 26, 2020, 02:19:18 pm »
I am just starting to use Alexa on my Galaxy A20 Smart Phone and I can't find how to change my wake word from Alexa to Computer. The Wake Word choice is not in my Settings Menu, like it shows in many Help Videos.
Please help.
Thank you.
Doug

Re: Unable to change "wake word" on my Galaxy A20
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2020, 04:01:55 pm »
unfortunately, you cannot change the wake word for your phone.  There are a couple other amazon echo devices you cannot change it on either.

dlwmacgregor

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2020, 04:26:32 pm »
unfortunately, you cannot change the wake word for your phone.  There are a couple other amazon echo devices you cannot change it on either.

Thanks for the quick reply.
That's a shame because I just put together an Alexa Device using my Raspberry Pi 4B and some instructions on Tom's Hardware from Caroline.

It would be nice to be able to do the StarTrek thing.

I thought these instructions were pretty recent but I guess not...

https://www.businessinsider.com/can-you-change-alexas-name

Cheers

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2020, 07:54:00 pm »
those instructions are great but only for devices you can change the wake word on.   The reporter did not do their homework properly. 

dlwmacgregor

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2020, 09:54:47 am »
Thanks.
Is there a list available that shows which devices will allow a Wake Word change? or can you give me some examples,  for instance, of which Samsung smartphones allow it?

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2020, 10:17:30 am »
Thanks.
Is there a list available that shows which devices will allow a Wake Word change? or can you give me some examples,  for instance, of which Samsung smartphones allow it?

you would have to search like I would have to. Think about it, the list would be long.  Just assume you cannot change it on most non-amazon devices, which includes smartphones, tablets, computerd, and more.  Then there a few amazon devices like frames and buds.  so if you are wanting to verify what I said, good luck.   You can always contact amazon through their feedback in the app.   

Just to note, I did check my samsung note 10, s5e tablet, note 8, frames and echo buds and could not change them either
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 11:09:38 am by renegade600 »

dlwmacgregor

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2020, 11:31:43 am »
OK.
Thanks.