Echo & Alexa Forums

GEN 4 Multi room music not working with ASUS Mesh WiFi

SL VADER

GEN 4 Multi room music not working with ASUS Mesh WiFi
« on: December 27, 2020, 04:53:35 pm »
I have now been troubleshooting and reconfiguring my entire network for a month trying to get this to work and nothing has fixed it.

My router reports all of my devices on the same network, but the Alexa app shows some devices on 2.4Ghz and some on 5Ghz. And the app will not allow me to change it to the correct network.  I select the 5Ghz network and it still connects these devices to the 2.4 band.

Has anyone figured out how to get this to work on a mesh network?  Amazon customer service has been no help and their "technical" team still has not reached out to me.

I had no issues  with the previous gen Echos, but ever since I added the 4th gens it has been a nightmare.  I have even taken all of my older models offline and I still have the same issue.

Offline jwlv

Re: GEN 4 Multi room music not working with ASUS Mesh WiFi
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2020, 12:38:59 am »
Easy. Just change the name (SSID) for each band of your router. For example, name the 2.4 GHz band Home24 and the 5.0GHz band Home50. Then set up your Echo devices to the band that you want.

Your router is correct in stating that all your devices are on one network. You have one network with 2 bands (a 2.4 band and a 5.0 band). Changing the band does not change the network in this case.

If your router sets both bands to the same name (some routers do this, namely Google Wifi), there isn't a way to instruct your Echo devices to choose a different band. It's just done automatically. And most devices will fall back to the 2.4GHz band since it's usually stronger than 5GHz.