Echo & Alexa Forums

Ring Doorbell issue with Echo Dots -- not connecting

rlhess

Ring Doorbell issue with Echo Dots -- not connecting
« on: December 22, 2020, 04:01:03 pm »
Hi, I recently invested in an Alexa system to replace failing astronomical timers and an older RF intercom. Years ago I had an extensive X10 system. This is not as extensive, but my son and I have had fun with it.

We have two Echo Show 5" units and four Echo Dots Gen 3. We also have about four TPLink Kasa smart wall switches and more than a dozen Kasa smart plugs, and a Ring Pro doorbell.

Everything works as expected except one thing: The Ring Doorbell communication with the four Echo Dots.

When someone presses the Ring Doorbell, all six Echos announce it, which is great. I can say "Talk to Front Door" on the Echo Shows and after about five seconds I'm connected to the Ring Pro Doorbell and can talk maybe five seconds after that.

However, when I try to do the same on the Echo Dots "Talk to Front Door" they say, "Front Door isn't responding" after maybe 2-3 seconds (shorter time than it takes the Echo Shows to connect fully).

I ran the internet diagnostics on the Ring Doorbell pro and it said around 10 Mb/s up/down depending on which test server. The thing I noticed was latency was 44 ms which seemed a bit long, but no where near the delays I'm experiencing, but they could add up with lots of hand-shaking.

Two questions:

(1) Is there a way to increase the time-out delay on the Echo Dot Gen 3 units?

(2) Any thoughts on how to decrease the overall connect time for all units?

Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

rlhess

Re: Ring Doorbell issue with Echo Dots -- not connecting
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2020, 08:14:42 pm »
Did some testing with a friend. His Echo Dot Gen 1s work with his Ring Doorbell (not Pro). Mine are Gen 3.

Might try running a Gen 3 at his house...it will be a couple of weeks because of shifting Covid bubbles.

I tried changing the DNS from the CIRA protected one to Googles, no difference.

The third Show 5 has replaced the Dot in the kitchen.

Reregistering Ring.Com with Alexa didn't help.

rlhess

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 08:23:11 pm »
A further note.

A friend of mine and I linked our two accounts. He has a Doorbell 2.

We both can access my Doorbell Pro and his Doorbell 2 with our Echo Show 5 devices.

We can both can access his Doorbell 2 with our Echo Dot devices (multiple generations).

NEITHER of us can access my Doorbell Pro with our Echo Dot devices (multiple generations).

I have used a completely different WiFi connection for the Doorbell Pro and it behaves the same as shown above.

This is rather upsetting, frankly...and just now I found an "at least" 45 minute wait at Ring Support after verifying my account.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2021, 09:56:22 pm »
Check the firmware versions of your Echo devices against this list from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=GMB5FVUB6REAVTXY

To find your firmware version, go to the Alexa app, tap devices, choose your device, tap about.

If you have an out of date firmware, you can say to your device "Alexa, update software."
For devices that have a screen (e.g. Echo Show), touch Settings on the Echo screen, then device options, then check for software updates.

rlhess

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 04:18:41 pm »
Check the firmware versions of your Echo devices against this list from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=GMB5FVUB6REAVTXY

Thank you for this, I learned two things:

(1) My software is up to date (you don't have to check the list, if you try and update it and it's up to date, Alexa will tell you that you have the latest version).

(2) Based on the software versions, I have Gen 4 DOTs. I thought they were Gen 3.