Echo & Alexa User Discussions and Support Forums

When a person is not breathing, permanent brain damage begins after 4 minutes and death in 6 minutes after that. Can you count on help arriving before that time? Learning proper CPR techniques is easy and you can learn it in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.

Using Echo 2 with a hearing loop amplifier

Using Echo 2 with a hearing loop amplifier
« on: December 02, 2020, 01:09:07 pm »
I set up Alexa for my Mum who is hard of hearing. She watches the TV with the help of a hearing loop, which is connected by a digital signal from the TV. It would be great if I could connect Alexa to the loop as well. 

Technically, I can. I bought a Bluetooth 5 receiver and connected it to another input of the hearing loop amplifier. I can pair Alexa with the Bluetooth receiver and it works fine. The only problem is that when you switch Alexa to Bluetooth the loudspeaker goes off. I want both. The TV provides an option for sound to go to both the internal speaker and the (digital) output. Could Alexa not do this? I appreciate that with Bluetooth there is an issue with the delay and keeping the two in sync would require a delay to the internal speaker, but this surely cannot be beyond the wit of Amazon engineers!

The only solution I can think of at the mpoment is to connect a dual Bluetooth 5 transmitter to Alexa, and have a separate Bluetooth speaker on the second channel to replace the Alexa internal speaker. That's a lot of boxes and wires though!

Offline jwlv

Re: Using Echo 2 with a hearing loop amplifier
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2020, 02:53:11 pm »
You could use an audio line splitter and connect the Bluetooth on one side and a small powered computer speaker on the other side.

Something like this should work: https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Splitter-Extension-Earphone-Compatible/dp/B00LM0ZGK6/

« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 05:14:46 pm by jwlv »