Echo & Alexa Forums

frustrating

kalanikaau

frustrating
« on: November 22, 2020, 01:28:43 pm »
I've an Alexa routine set up in which the trigger is via geofencing which suddenly stopped functioning, it did work for a month or so.
Here's what I've done so far in an attempt to fix it:
  forced stopped/re-started the Alexa app on my android device
  deleted, then re-programmed the routine
  set the location accuracy on my phone to use both wifi and bluetooth scanning
  ensured that my phone is running the latest android version (10)
  ensured that my phone and the smart devices which the routine is supposed to operate on are on the same wifi
  channel
  increased/decreased the location detection zone and allowed Alexa access to this feature at all times
All intended functions of the routine work OK when manually triggered, it's just that the geofencing trigger apparently has stopped. For what it's worth, google maps works OK, it can still read my present location.
Stumped here...

Offline jwlv

Re: frustrating
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 03:41:09 pm »
What I've noticed on Android is that different manufacturers have different ways to deal with prolonging battery life. And the recent Android versions have even more ways that the Android system limits apps and background tasks.

Some phones will put background apps to sleep, some will disable certain functions (like GPS), some will limit or disable background data, etc. All of these can have an affect on Alexa's ability to report your location to Amazon's servers, which in turn will run your routines. In other words, geofencing might not work depending on how long it's been since you opened the Alexa app, and whether the app is in the background, closed, or put to sleep, and what Android decides to do with it.

kalanikaau

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 03:52:08 pm »
Thanks for responding, I forgot to add to the list that all so-called 'battery saver' functions have been disabled on my android device as well...would this not have affected my google maps function also?
I'll double check on the settings anyway...

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 05:26:23 pm »
I found over the years that geo-fencing is extremely unstable and unreliable with my security cameras.   I am having to regularly check to see if the camera is on.  When I don't check, that is when they quit working. 

I noticed one thing you did not try is wiping the system cache from your phone  :-)

Offline jwlv

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2020, 07:03:14 pm »
Thanks for responding, I forgot to add to the list that all so-called 'battery saver' functions have been disabled on my android device as well...would this not have affected my google maps function also?
I'll double check on the settings anyway...

Well, Google Maps is made by Google. Android is made by Google. They probably would set the default permissions for Google Maps so that it will work flawlessly. With any other app, that would be a different story.

David N

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2020, 09:29:07 am »
Check the schedule for your routine and the amount of time the routine is suppressed for.
I set my location based routines to run from 12:05am to 11:55pm and suppress for 5 minutes.
Also when changing your geofence you are more likely to have success with a larger perimeter. Mine is set at 2400 feet.
My parameters were set back when amazon first implemented this trigger and was not perfected. My #s are what worked for my situation and has worked flawlessly since.
You will just have to play around with yours and find the right combination.