Echo & Alexa Forums

New to Alexa, Trying to determine what I need

mhealy@jacowelding.com

New to Alexa, Trying to determine what I need
« on: November 19, 2020, 11:46:26 am »
I have several smart items in my home and would like to be able to control & schedule them all with one app.  Am I correct in assuming that if compatible with Alexa i can then use the Alexa app on IOS to control and schedule my "things"?  I have things from Wemo, Kasa, Hue, Kevo, Honeywell & Chamberlain / MyQ  Unsure if I need a more expensive device with "built in smart home hub" or if I can start with the less expensive echo dot 3? 

Re: New to Alexa, Trying to determine what I need
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 02:36:13 pm »
the best way to find out what you need is to go ahead and setup alexa in the alexa app on your phone, do a discovery and see what you need.   No echo devices needed. 

Most likely you will also need to install alexa skills for the different devices.   I can speak for hue, kasa and honeywell, you will still need the skill.  You do not need the higher price echo hub for those.    You might need the hue hub depending on your hue usage.  I am not familar with those.  You can find the specific models you have on amazons website and see if it is "works with alexa"  It will also tell you if it needs a hub but, guessing, unless you already have one, it is not needed.