Echo & Alexa Forums

Set a routine action by day of the week

kalanikaau

Set a routine action by day of the week
« on: October 31, 2020, 05:53:02 pm »
Newbie here, so please excuse my ignorance.
How would I go about adding to an existing routine who's actions which are determined by the day of the week?
Specifically, I'd like light A to illuminate (or if already on to remain on) on Sunday-Tuesday-Thursday-Saturday and to have light B to do the same on Monday-Wednesday-Friday. In other words, I'd like for the lights to alternate being on and off.
Mind you I don't want to set a time when the action occurs, just by the day of the week.
The trigger word for this routine is "Alexa, good night"
TIA!

Hmm...November 1st and no replies yet....
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 03:54:50 pm by kalanikaau »

Re: Set a routine action by day of the week
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2020, 07:06:47 pm »
I don't think you can schedule routines like that. 

kalanikaau

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2020, 12:41:36 am »
I don't think you can schedule routines like that.

Thanks for your response, judging by the lack of response, I have to agree with you, at the Alexa level that is.

The ceiling fans are currently controlled by my Bond device, however setting a schedule with Bond requires (for now) setting the time of day before progressing to the day of the week in the programming sequence. I've contacted Bond support and am waiting for a reply.

Surely there must be a way to do this, I don't think it's out of the ordinary...

Elijah_Baley

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2020, 03:43:41 pm »
Newbie here, so please excuse my ignorance.
How would I go about adding to an existing routine who's actions which are determined by the day of the week?
Specifically, I'd like light A to illuminate (or if already on to remain on) on Sunday-Tuesday-Thursday-Saturday and to have light B to do the same on Monday-Wednesday-Friday. In other words, I'd like for the lights to alternate being on and off.
Mind you I don't want to set a time when the action occurs, just by the day of the week.
The trigger word for this routine is "Alexa, good night"
TIA!

Hmm...November 1st and no replies yet....

I "think" IFTTT can do what you want combined with Alexa's routines. There is great flexibility in the functionality of calling IFTTT and IFTTT can be set to only do certain things on certain day or at certain times or some combo of both. I use IFTTT a lot but I have never tried what you are wanting to do.

kalanikaau

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2020, 12:05:06 am »
I "think" IFTTT can do what you want combined with Alexa's routines. There is great flexibility in the functionality of calling IFTTT and IFTTT can be set to only do certain things on certain day or at certain times or some combo of both. I use IFTTT a lot but I have never tried what you are wanting to do.
Thanks for your response,
I had reached out to Bond support and they confirmed that I cannot create a schedule based solely on the day of the week with their app, but did agree that it is something worth their development team to look into.
IFTTT has intrigued me recently, now I have a reason to look into it.
Thanks again...

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2020, 03:10:36 pm »
I doubt very much that ifttt would do this. 

kalanikaau

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2020, 05:23:26 pm »
I doubt very much that ifttt would do this.

Presently I'm doing ITTT research, the information presented overwhelms me.

Update on the Bond device app of which I've been in communication with Bond support, they evidently are very concerned about my satisfaction with their product, which is a good thing indeed.
Concerned to the point of being pests...I've described in detail 3X to date of what I wish to accomplish and twice they've told me to set a schedule.

The product is excellent, it's just that their app won't let me do what I'd like it to do at this point, case closed...lol

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2020, 04:37:59 am »
there are other services similar to ifttt that you can also check out.  I am not familar with them but you can find them by searching using ifttt alternatives as keywords

kalanikaau

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2020, 10:17:46 am »
there are other services similar to ifttt that you can also check out.  I am not familar with them but you can find them by searching using ifttt alternatives as keywords
Thanks for your response,
Bond support people contacted me again and emailed me a procedure to set the Alexa routine I am looking for, I have not tried it yet, but it looks as though it may work.
I'll post it here if it indeed does.

**Update on what Bond sent me to try**

The procedure they sent me does not work, though it appears as though it would, it reads:

Open Amazon Alexa app and start to create a new Routine (More > Routines > +)
Add the routine name and the trigger (When this happens) as you prefer (for example Voice > good night)
Add an Action
3.1. Select Custom (last one on the list)
3.2. Type: “Turn Ceiling fan A light on if today is Sunday, Tuesday or Thursday”
Hit “Save” and select the device to respond

The actual text I added reads : "turn on west ceiling fan light if today is Monday, Wednesday or Friday", yet in the saved routine it reads "Alexa, turn on west ceiling fan light if today is Monday, Wednesday or Friday".
The app automatically added "Alexa", I did not, this suggests that it would be a trigger rather than an action.

Strange...
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 11:11:46 am by kalanikaau »