Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa when Wi-Fi is off

Siara

Alexa when Wi-Fi is off
« on: October 26, 2020, 12:49:30 pm »
Hello, I was considering to buy the new Echo 4th gen or Echo Dot 4th gen but I'm really confused because I keep getting all sort of answers to my questions..

During the night I like to turn off my Wi-Fi and I would like to be able to control the lights (like the Philips Hue) of a couple of rooms with my voice even when the Wi-Fi is off. Some videos on youtube say that it's possible, in addition to that the official Amazon guide says:
Actions Available with Local Voice Control
If your Echo with a built-in smart home hub is not connected to the Internet, you can use your voice to:
Control compatible smart home devices, including switches, lights, and plugs, that are connected directly to your Echo device.
Ask for the time or date.
Stop or cancel alarms, reminders, and timers that were set before your Echo device went offline.
Control the device's volume.
Alexa also responds to the inquiry, "What can you do offline?"

From that I would think that what I need was indeed possible.. however I've been asking this question on different forums (global and Italian forums) and even on the official Amazon Italy forum and every time I'm being told that Alexa can't do anything at all without Wi-Fi.. so here I hope to get a more reliable answer from you:

1) Can Echo 4th gen control the Philips Hue light bulbs when the home Wi-Fi is off?
2) Can Echo Dot 4th gen do it via Bluetooth (considering that the Philips Hue lights have bluetooth too) with the home Wi-Fi off?
3) If the answer to the question number one is "yes", is the ability to control the lights related to the Local Voice Control feature? And if so, I think it might not be available in Italian, may you confirm? If it wasn't available in Italian, could I have access to it by switching the language to English?

I can provide links to guides and videos that I've read if needed.

Thank you in advance for your time

Re: Alexa when Wi-Fi is off
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 06:29:31 pm »
What echo device do you have?   Only those with the smart hub will be able to work offline according to the quote in your post.   However if wifi is off, unless the device is bluetooth, there is no way for commands get to the device.   

see the following for supported languages.   Italy was not on the list.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=202207000
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 06:39:51 pm by renegade600 »

Siara

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 09:25:24 pm »
What echo device do you have?   Only those with the smart hub will be able to work offline according to the quote in your post.   However if wifi is off, unless the device is bluetooth, there is no way for commands get to the device.   

see the following for supported languages.   Italy was not on the list.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=202207000

Hi, I don't have any Echo device. I am trying to decide if I should buy it or not and my top choices would be either a Echo 4th gen or a Echo Dot 4th gen.
Both these devices have bluetooth but only the Echo has the Zigbee hub integrated. So I'm still waiting for an answer to my questions.

I think that your link refers to the "international version" of Alexa, Italy has its own version with all the services listed in that link in Italian and I'm quite sure the same applies to Germany and France.

1) Can Echo 4th gen control the Philips Hue light bulbs when the home Wi-Fi is off?
2) Can Echo Dot 4th gen do it via Bluetooth (considering that the Philips Hue lights have bluetooth too) with the home Wi-Fi off?
3) If the answer to the question number one is "yes", is the ability to control the lights related to the Local Voice Control feature? And if so, I think it might not be available in Italian, may you confirm? If it wasn't available in Italian, could I have access to it by switching the language to English?
Does anyone know the answer?

Offline jwlv

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 11:47:17 pm »
Echo devices will not work at all when there is no WiFi. Even if it's still connected to other devices via Bluetooth, Zigbee, or anything else, you cannot talk to Alexa---she won't understand you.

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 09:29:30 am »
If I had the questions you have, I'd buy one and see if it will do what I want... if not... return it and get my money back... Simple trial tactic.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!