Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa calling issue - voice command follow-up

Lugh_Lamfhada

Alexa calling issue - voice command follow-up
« on: October 23, 2020, 11:26:21 pm »
Hi,

We have three Alexa devices set up in one section of the house for use by my elderly blind mother, who recently had a stroke. Her Amazon account is linked with a phone number so that she can easily call my wife or me. Yesterday I received and installed an Echo dot for use in my hobby room. It is linked to my Amazon account and connected to the same network in the house as the devices on my mother’s Amazon account. Until yesterday, my mother only had to say “<Wake-Word> call <Name>,” and the Echo would call my or my wife’s cell phone. Now, when she tries to call me, the Alexa device responds with “Which should I call? <Name’s> phone or Alexa devices?” I have made no changes to the contact list in her Alexa account. I have disabled drop-in on all Alexa devices in the house. I believe that her Echo sensed my Echo over the network and is now suddenly offering her a choice. As stated above, she recently had a stroke, so making changes to how things work and making them more complicated is not beneficial. Is there a way to get her devices to revert to simply accepting the command and dialing the number?

TLDR: How do we change device calling back to accepting the "Alexa, call <Name>" command and dialing the number listed in the contact without asking whether we want to call a phone or Alexa device?

Thanks,
Lugh

Offline jwlv

Re: Alexa calling issue - voice command follow-up
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2020, 09:05:10 am »
I believe you can do that by setting the other Echo device to "do not disturb" so that there are no other devices to call.