Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo Show 5,8 and Ring 3

Clay L

Echo Show 5,8 and Ring 3
« on: October 12, 2020, 04:42:18 pm »
I have an Echo Show 5 and an Echo Show 8. When the Ring video doorbell detects motion at the front door the Show 5 announces it and shows the video view of the front door area. The Show 8 makes the announcement but does not show the video view. I can find no way to set the Show 8 to show the video. How can I set it?

Offline jwlv

Re: Echo Show 5,8 and Ring 3
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2020, 07:13:42 pm »
In the Alexa app, tap Devices (at the bottom), Cameras, then the name of your Ring doorbell.

Now you are in the Alexa settings for your Ring doorbell camera. Tap Announcement Devices. Put a check mark on any device that you want the Ring doorbell to announce and show the video on. Echo devices that have a screen will show video and devices without a screen will get audio-only announcements.

One thing that I've noticed is that if you choose video announcements on several devices but your internet bandwidth is not great, you might not see the video on some of your devices. My internet speed is 30Mbps down/2Mbps up and if I choose 3 or more devices, the video usually won't come through.

Furthermore, if you have other devices that are also recording to the cloud (such as Wyze cams, Arlo cams, etc.) they are also using up your bandwidth at the same time that Ring is trying to send video to your Echo Show. That can affect your ability to view live video.

Clay L

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2020, 11:40:18 am »
Thanks for the reply. Both ES5 and ES8 show a check mark for video and sound notifications but only the ES5 shows a video when the Ring announces. Is there a setting on the device itself I am missing?

Offline jwlv

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2020, 04:21:14 pm »
If I had to guess, I'd say it's a bandwidth issue.

You can also try power cycling the Echo Shows and your router & modem.

Clay L

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2020, 11:39:07 am »
 I have a Netgear R6400 router with Spectrum 15 Mbps download and 14 Mbps upload so I don't think bandwidth is the issue.
I will try rebooting everything.