Echo & Alexa Forums

Wyze Cam and new products

Offline jwlv

Wyze Cam and new products
« on: September 29, 2020, 04:14:12 pm »
Anyone else a fan of Wyze cam? I have 10 Wyze cams scattered around the house, backyard and inside the dog house. Gotta keep an eye on my dog, ya know?

Anyway, Wyze has been pumping out a lot of new products recently, starting with the Wyze band, Wyze scale, Wyze cam outdoor, Wyze doorlock, and now Wyze doorbell, Wyze headphones, and Wyze thermostat. I think they are spreading themselves out way too thin. Instead of supporting a few core products, now they have nearly a dozen products. Although my 10 Wyze cams (v1 & v2) have been working okay for the most part, they all still have a significant problem. That is when reviewing recorded video, most of the time the cam reboots or loses connection for no apparent reason. It doesn't matter which one of the 10 cams I review or how far or close the cam is to my 6 Google Wifi mesh access points. They all have the same problem.

Re: Wyze Cam and new products
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2020, 04:39:59 pm »
I have three wyze cams and do not plan any more wyze products.   they are okay but they lack geofencing.   though you can use ifttt or life360, it does not always work like it should.     It is good they are getting into more products to stay alive but their lack of support for needed features leaves a lot to be desire. 

fstbusa

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2020, 08:21:26 am »
I have 5 wyze cams... a couple for "baby monitors" and then the 3 others for security type use.  I've enjoyed them for what I paid but am disappointed in the recent person detection subscription..... they added person detection via firmware update and then removed it later on because of a falling out with a company wyze partnered with.... not really our problem... if they were going to have person detection and had to remove person detection developed by another company, I would expect that they would add something back and the same cost... not start charging for it via service.

I believe the previous person detection was all done locally on the camera and not via the cloud.

I have not tried any of their other products.  I'm heavily invested in the smartthings platform and will continue to be based on their wide integration of products and large ability for complex automations.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2020, 01:33:34 pm »
That's exactly what I meant. Wyze should concentrate on their core products, namely the cam. Get person detection working the way it was before even if it's homebrew or with another company. Another annoying issue is that the audio/video sync on playback is always a few seconds off. They could probably fix that pretty easily, but they just kind of shrugged it off. With so many other new products, it becomes more and more unlikely they'll address these issues that have been ongoing for years.

These cams are basically toys and they are priced like toys. That's why I have some of them outside, even though they are not waterproof or even water resistant. The others I have spread around the house are mainly used for live shots, so I can see what's going on in the house when I'm not there. The recordings are kind of useless because the interface for playback is godawful and the constant reboot/disconnects makes it unusable. For security purposes I have a real hard drive based security NVR system that records everything 24 hours a day.

By the way, has anyone noticed that flash memory has dropped in price dramatically? I just picked up a 256GB SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.1 drive for $32! It's great for storing movies and taking them anywhere I want. I also saw 32GB microSD cards (3-pack) for $15 and 1TB SSDs for $75. 

fastbagger

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2021, 08:44:17 am »
3 V3 cams are pretty good. Only downside is that there is a notification delay. I am sure will get better over time. They work great like the constant recording to the SD card.