Echo & Alexa Forums

Light in group not recognized

Drwoodr

Light in group not recognized
« on: September 26, 2020, 09:40:35 am »
I'm having an issue working with an Alexa group not recognizing a light. I have and Eufy lightbulb in a bedroom group, and had a Wemo smart plug as type light in a Living Room group, and I just say "Turn on the light" and they work. I have the new Meross smart plugs to test, and I can't do the same with these new smart plugs. When I add one to the Living Room group, set type as light, and say "turn on the light", it says "there are multiple devices with the name lights". I've deleted the groups, renamed then, etc, but I always get the same message. I remove the new device, add a different Wemo back in, and it works fine. I did make sure that I had changed the device type to light, and that all the lights have different names. I'm stumped. The fact that the Wemo plugs and Eufy lightbulb work fine makes me think the issue is on the Meross device, not Alexa. If I say "turn on the living room light", the Meross plug works fine, it's just doesn't work with "turn on the light" in a group and it's the only light in the group. Any ideas?

Offline jwlv

Re: Light in group not recognized
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 10:44:32 am »
I'm pretty sure you already know this.

Did you make sure that the Echo device that's in the living room is also part of the living room group?

Drwoodr

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2020, 12:32:31 pm »
Thanks for the input, but yes. As a follow-up, I added an older non-homekit Meross plug in as a light, and it works with the "turn on light" command. It's just the new homekit version of the Meross plug that doesn't work.

Drwoodr

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2020, 06:04:28 pm »
Solved: Got it working. I have a theory. I was replacing an old Wemo plug with a new Meross plug. I renamed the old plug before installing the new plug, but did not remove it. I give the new plug the same name as I have previously used for the Wemo plug, "Living Room Light". My theory, even though the old plug was no longer in the group and had a new name, Alexa still had it registered as "Living Room Light". I deleted the old Wemo plug completely from Alexa, deleted the group, and created a new one. I did a full reset of the Meross plug and gave it a different name. On the first try, I got the same error, but then Alexa said "you can now use your plug as a light", and it's now working. Moral: when replacing parts, be careful about re-using the same name.