Echo & Alexa Forums

Does an Amazon Echo come linked to an account?

RoddyEcho

Does an Amazon Echo come linked to an account?
« on: September 18, 2020, 04:32:57 am »
Hi there,

I'm in the UK, and yesterday I ordered an Amazon Echo Dot as a gift for my nephew from the Amazon website. It should be delivered today. However, I've just had a thought - will the Echo Dot be registered to my Amazon account? I can't recall clicking anything or selecting that option, but I just wonder if it would have defaulted to my account.

If so, is there some way I need to 'unlink' it from my account before I give it to him for his birthday next month?

Thanks for any advice!

Re: Does an Amazon Echo come linked to an account?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2020, 05:14:44 am »
It does come linked but lately I noticed you are given a choice when you order.  Might be different in the UK.  go back to the page you ordered the echo from and see if it defaults to linked to account.  it should be on the right side of the page under where you click to order.    You can de-register it from your account if it is linked.  Just go to devices in the alexa app.   

Offline jwlv

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2020, 12:12:36 pm »
Just look at your devices on Amazon: (This is the US site. There's an equivalent on the UK site).
https://www.amazon.com/hz/mycd/digital-console/alldevices

If your new Echo Dot is registered, you can remove it (deregister) from the same page.

RoddyEcho

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2020, 03:33:13 pm »
Thanks to both of you! I went to the UK site: https://www.amazon.co.uk/hz/mycd/digital-console/alldevices and saw that the device was, in fact, registered to my account. Glad I checked.

I was able to de-register the device from there. Now I guess when I gift it to my nephew, all he needs to do is register it to his account during set-up.

Thanks again for the advice - much appreciated!

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2020, 08:40:41 pm »
I've purchased Echo dots from Stores andfrom Amazon online(direct) using my Amazon Prime Account. If you buy it on Amazon Prime account, the account is attached already. If you buy it at a store, it is not attached to an account. I have not seen the Option for associating an account or not as stated above... but sounds like a good option to have, since I have also sent Dots to family members as gifts and had to walk them throuh the process to deactivate them.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!