Echo & Alexa Forums

Amazon Echo and IPP Printing

markosjal

Amazon Echo and IPP Printing
« on: September 15, 2020, 12:21:11 pm »
I read in different articles that recently Amazon updated Alexa Printing Capabilities to include IPP Printing.

The article here seems to confirm this
https://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=19820259011

It also however refers to having "MDMS enabled"

I have found a reference for M-DMS elsewhere, which seems to relate to DLNA but not sure what is meant here, nor even if it is MDMS referred to with Alexa.

Also My current IPP printer is a Linux server running CUPS that is working great from clients running Windows, iOS, Android, and more. It is detected by AirPrint automatically as Well as the built in Android Print client (Android 8+) and Mopria Print client on Android.

Alexa does not seem to detect the printer however .  I have tested on Echo Dot (ver 2)  and Echo Cube by sayiing “Alexa, discover my printer”. I tried on echo dot (ver 2)  with the App.

What am I missing to have Alexa detect my CUPS/IPP printer?   
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 07:22:34 pm by markosjal »

Re: Amazon Echo and IPP Printing
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 06:59:03 pm »
it is a new feature recently announced so maybe not everyone has it yet.  also not all printers are compatible with this feature at this time.  you might want to contact amazon to see if your printer model is compatible.   don't say anything about linux unless asked.   amazon has this bad habit of not supporting linux with their products so thy will just tell you not supported.   finally, it should not make any difference as to the os since my understanding is it connects to the printer, not the os of the computer it is networked with. 

just to note, my printer won't connect either but as long as the skill works, it really don't matter. 

markosjal

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2020, 07:18:57 pm »
it is a new feature recently announced so maybe not everyone has it yet.  also not all printers are compatible with this feature at this time.  you might want to contact amazon to see if your printer model is compatible.   don't say anything about linux unless asked.   amazon has this bad habit of not supporting linux with their products so thy will just tell you not supported.   finally, it should not make any difference as to the os since my understanding is it connects to the printer, not the os of the computer it is networked with. 

just to note, my printer won't connect either but as long as the skill works, it really don't matter. 

Not sure I agree with all you say and perhaps you have no understanding how Linux takes any Linux compatible printer and shares it as IPP. This means that Alexa would connect to the (Linux) computer hosting the printer. In fact to a major degree the CUPS IPP printing is the de facto standard as it is the Apple Computer standard , as Apple own CUPS used in Linux and OSX.

As for saying "...as long as the skill works....." is a vague and weak statement. How do you judge if something is working if it can not connect to anything it is supposed to be compatible with? Is your printer IPP compatible? Is your printer shared from an OSX or Linux host?

markosjal

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2020, 07:56:34 pm »
unless someone can sjow me otherwise , Alexa has no IPP printing skill , only for HP, Epson and others.

This anmnouncement is a LIE, Amazon is a bunch of LIARS!