Echo & Alexa Forums

bah... alexa sees my door sensor as "motion sensor" what am i doing wrong?

eternity575

Ok.. So after talking with people here I understood zigbee is much faster, and it is. so i bought a zigbee hug, 2 zigbee door sensors, all works perfect in the tuya smart app. alexa even detects them as "security system". however, she detects them as "motion sensor" (hence no open/close but motion/no motion). I have tried making routines using that but nothing works.
ie when device X senses motion announce X or turn on light. but nothing actually happens.
anyone can share his/her thoughts?
thanks!

door sensor is a motion sensor.  you should be able to use ifttt to do what you want.  I don't think a routine would work no matter what it is called. 

eternity575

Thank you for your reply, so what is a sensor good for if i can't do anything with it? I can make a routine but nothing will work using that routine. god damnit.. what did a man ask.. all i want is alexa to announce that i have a gate open or a movement detected.. why does it have to be so complicated...
I have tried ifttt but i can't go past the "device/group" selection, I have nothing listed there :(

I have a ZigBee PIR motion sensor I purchased off eBay for under $20.  It uses 2 AA batteries and I connected it through my Echo Plus (built in ZigBee hub).  It shows under my devices as first motion sensor, second motion sensor, etc.  I use them in routines, for example: I havea long covered front entryway leading to my front door.  I mounted the motion sensor on the wall about 4' high at the entrance to this covered area.  I wrote a routine that when it senses motion, it turns on the 2 smart can lights in theis area, then makes the announcement on my main Echo that that the front door sensor was just triggered.  After a 5 minute wait, it turns off the porch lights.  This works great to light this area at night for visitors as well as giving me a prealert that someone is at the door.

eternity575

Thanks! care to share the ebay link? even in a pm if it's not allowed. I don't care what i need to buy...i need something so simple yet it's so complicated.