Echo & Alexa Forums

Trying to leave alexa radio constantly on, shutting off

johnsta13

Trying to leave alexa radio constantly on, shutting off
« on: August 03, 2020, 10:44:19 am »
Hello All! I'm new here so thanks for the help.

I have an old home audio system that I've wired to some echo dots. One is wired to my bedroom and labeled as such and one is wired to the kitchen and labeled as such. We want to leave the echo dot in the kitchen always playing classical music via radio.

This worked apparently for a month but now I find that each morning the dot has stopped playing the classical radio in the kitchen.

Any idea what might be interrupting the audio?

Additionally, I went to put the audio back like other mornings but alexa would only play spotify on the kitchen dot and wouldn't play amazon music. It did play amazon music on my phone though.

Any ideas there?

Re: Trying to leave alexa radio constantly on, shutting off
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 05:38:35 pm »
This is something beyond your control.  There could be a number of reasons that you are getting disconnected and most involved them making sure someone is actually listening.   They have to pay expenses for the music that is playing whether it be royalties or whatever, and they don't want to pay for it to be played in an empty room.   If nobody is there to immediately turn it back on, they know nobody is listening so it is going to happen more often.    Even netflix, amazon prime and others does the same. 

Offline jwlv

Re: Trying to leave alexa radio constantly on, shutting off
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 09:49:57 pm »
Like what others have said, most streaming services will shut off automatically after a set number of hours. Streaming services pay a fee for every title they play, albeit it's a tiny fee for any one particular user. And the bandwidth they use are also expenses that they have to pay. Multiply that by millions of users and it could become very expensive for them to provide you with free streaming music.

One way around this is you can set up a routine to play whatever station or playlist that you want. Create routines to starting playing at 8am, then again at 2pm, and again at 10 pm. Or even more often if you find that your music has stopped sooner than you'd expected.