Echo & Alexa Forums

Help with finding the smart light I want

Help with finding the smart light I want
« on: August 01, 2020, 08:54:27 pm »
I received a free Phillips Hue white light when I bought my Echo Studio.  I was able to connect the light through the Alexa app. I didn't need to set up a new account with anyone and the light apparently works directly with my Echo Studio so it doesn't use any of my wifi bandwidth (yay).
So, when I search on Amazon what exactly am I searching for to get results for lights just like this?
So far my searches turned up lights that say wifi required or account needs to be setup/linked, etc.
I just want to find lights that were as easy to setup as the one I got for free.
So exactly what am I looking for then to narrow down my choices to this type of smart light?
Or, can I just use a smart plug for a lamp that turns on/off and dims a regular light?

Re: Help with finding the smart light I want
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 11:29:18 pm »
if the following is the studio you purchased, then any hue bulbs should work.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0849HZ86Y/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

the one that came with the studio is being discontinued so it will hard to find individually.      The studio is a hub so you do not need the individual philips hue hub unless you go with color bulbs.  so if the hue bulb says hub required, disregard it. 

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 11:38:07 pm »
So how do the hue bulbs connect to the echo? Bluetooth?

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 12:15:41 am »
I believe the free bulb came already connected so you will have to connect any new bulbs yourself.    I don't use the alexa hub so I am really not sure about the how-to.   Just know you don't need the hue hub.

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2020, 06:36:28 am »
I went down the Hue path. I have an Echo Plus 2nd gen, Echo Studio, Echo Sub and 4 Echo dots 3rd gen. The later version Hue bulbs have bluetooth as well as Zigbee. If you connect them through the Alexa app, they will pair up with any later version Echo device using bluetooth, not the Zigbee protocal not even the Plus or Studio. I discovered this setup works fine as long as you do not exceed 5 Hue bulbs. More than five and they get flaky and the bulbs will randomly drop connection. I finally got the Phillips Hue Bridge. If you go this route, be sure to remove all currently configured Hue bulbs from the Alexa app. Set the bulbs up within the Hue app. Link your Hue account to Alexa app, then the Hue bulbs will populate into the Alexa app. Once they show up in your Alexa app you can then manage them with Alexa. The Hue is the best smart light solution IMHO. I have helped neighbors setup other smart bulbs and none work as well as the Hue system. Just spend the money and get the Hue bridge, you will be much happier.