Echo & Alexa Forums

Smartlife/tuya PIR sesnor + alexa routines. possible?

eternity575

Smartlife/tuya PIR sesnor + alexa routines. possible?
« on: July 23, 2020, 06:01:09 am »
Hi Everyone!
So I got 2 PIR motion sensors (tuya), connected them to the app, all works, happy me.
However I want them to be used as triggers for routines in the alexa app & show.
Things is, I can't find them on "smart home" or "other devices" when creating a routine. anyone had luck doing that?
(skill is enabled and linked fine)
Another weird thing is when I create an "automation" on the smartlife/tuya app, my echo show immediately recognizes that there is a new "scene" and she tells me about it.
weiirrddd

Offline jwlv

Re: Smartlife/tuya PIR sesnor + alexa routines. possible?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 07:33:43 am »
As far as I know, only Ring motion sensors (part of the Ring alarm system) can be used as triggers in Alexa routines. And guess what? Ring is owned by Amazon!

For anything else, you'll likely have to use something like IFTTT or SmartThings.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 07:17:34 am by jwlv »

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2020, 10:15:36 am »
I am running routines on 4 different PIR sensors.  They may not be the same brand you have but they set up in SmartLife.  In my Alexa App they appear as sensor 1, sensor 2, etc.   I use them for lighting and announcements - I have a walk in closet with the light switch on an inside wall.  I installed a smart switch, then placed a PIR sensor inside the closet.  The routine senses motion, turns on the light, waits 5 minutes and turns out the light.  Gives my wife plenty of time to hang laundry, etc. without fumbling for the light switch.

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2020, 08:09:50 am »
To connect your devices with Alexa, open the Alexa app, search for the
"Smart Life" skill, and enable it. You will need to provide the Smart Life
account information you used for the app. Next, say "Alexa, discover
devices" and wait until your Amazon gadget searches and acknowledges
discovery.

Hope this helps...

Tom

eternity575

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2020, 12:58:16 am »
I am running routines on 4 different PIR sensors.  They may not be the same brand you have but they set up in SmartLife.  In my Alexa App they appear as sensor 1, sensor 2, etc.   I use them for lighting and announcements - I have a walk in closet with the light switch on an inside wall.  I installed a smart switch, then placed a PIR sensor inside the closet.  The routine senses motion, turns on the light, waits 5 minutes and turns out the light.  Gives my wife plenty of time to hang laundry, etc. without fumbling for the light switch.

for some reason, cant see the device.

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 05:57:34 pm »
Might be a wi-fi PIR sensor.  I initially purchased a ZigBee PIR sensor as I have Echo pluses and a Studio.  It worked great - very easy to setup in Smart Life and to program a routine for.  I then purchased a wi-fi PIR sensor off eBay , the sensor would work but not show up in my Alexa app which ruled out a routine.  Bought 3 more Zigbee PIR sensors (from eBay), and they set up instantly in Smart Life and showed right up in the Alexa app.