Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa Echo Senior Setup questions, mainly contacts

drhiii

Alexa Echo Senior Setup questions, mainly contacts
« on: July 16, 2020, 08:32:24 pm »
I am setting up an Alexa Show 8 for my father, 92.  Primary thing is to limit, restrict, what is displayed, available, etc.  So crawling through Settings screens and figuring out as much as I can.

Saying that, there are some things if I could ask and hopefully not annoy too much if they have been answered ad naseum.  Am doing most of my homework… but…

Contacts.  Is there a way to limit, customize contacts per Alexa Echo device?  I have a long contacts list.  He only needs say 5-7 contacts on his device.  Thoughts?

The oft asked large wall paper clock.  Still no go?  Jaw dropping this afaik is still not available.

Anyone point to a link that addresses Alexa Echo for Seniors?  Have viewed several and have acquired some ideas for sure. 

And…. Whatever else anyone can think of for a senior would be helpful.  As an FYI, my father was, is quite famous for his work in social networking, networking, internet communications.  For instance, he was given the Electronic Freedom Foundation Award at the same time Vint Cerf received same.  At age 75 set up the first Hilary Schools in Nepal for internet/satellite communications.  Etc etc etc.  This is barely scratching the surface.  He has of course slowed, but wants to get his mitts on a device and at 92, wants to learn still.  So any direction for this would be most helpful.

Re: Alexa Echo Senior Setup questions, mainly contacts
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2020, 01:04:39 pm »
it is going to be difficult to limit the contacts since it takes the contacts from the phone.   was just looking at the contact in alexa and it seems it syncs regularly.  already have a couple of contacts I added recently.    don't know you mean about a large paper clock? 

you can search this forum for senior help.   the question has been asked and answered several times. 

AlanH

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2020, 02:25:32 pm »
I’m guessing a clock face that’s used as part of the wallpaper/background to the display.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2020, 05:32:09 pm »
Contacts used to be a real pain with the Alexa app, but Amazon has fixed that recently.

To get rid of all of the contacts that Alexa imported from your phone, first make sure that permission to access your phone's contacts is turned on. Go to the Alexa app and briefly look at your contacts. Then go to your phone settings and turn off Alexa's permission to access your contacts. Go back to the Alexa app and it should complain about not being able to access your phone's contacts. At this point, there should be an option to remove all of the contacts.

Now that all of the imported contacts are removed, you can manually add only the ones that you want individually. See this article on Amazon for how to do this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=G6VEABAWUJN2W94Q

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2020, 09:57:29 pm »
Contacts used to be a real pain with the Alexa app, but Amazon has fixed that recently.

To get rid of all of the contacts that Alexa imported from your phone, first make sure that permission to access your phone's contacts is turned on. Go to the Alexa app and briefly look at your contacts. Then go to your phone settings and turn off Alexa's permission to access your contacts. Go back to the Alexa app and it should complain about not being able to access your phone's contacts. At this point, there should be an option to remove all of the contacts.

Now that all of the imported contacts are removed, you can manually add only the ones that you want individually. See this article on Amazon for how to do this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=G6VEABAWUJN2W94Q

things changed again  :-)  maybe I need to start reading those emails amazon sends.     

grahampc

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2020, 01:59:49 am »
...Go back to the Alexa app and it should complain about not being able to access your phone's contacts. At this point, there should be an option to remove all of the contacts.

It looks like they un-fixed it again... I can’t find any way to get rid of the contacts in the iOS Alexa app, even if I remove Contacts permission. It hangs onto the ones they grabbed before.

This was a great start, though — let me know if you have any other thoughts on how to trick Alexa into working the way it should have in the first place around contacts.