Echo & Alexa User Discussions and Support Forums

When a person is not breathing, permanent brain damage begins after 4 minutes and death in 6 minutes after that. Can you count on help arriving before that time? Learning proper CPR techniques is easy and you can learn it in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.

Noob question - homebrew a power pack for echo dot to make it portable?

Funny - I like to think I think of weird / useful kluges.  But I've been running my dot in the kitchen, then a bluetooth speaker I got at a trade show out on the deck.  Battery life on the speaker is short.

My son said - why not run the dot (gen 3 if it matters?) from batteries.  DUH!

So the power supply is 12v 1.25A.

I have a bunch of battery sticks from trade shows - so I guess they put out 5v.  and use 18650 batteries (3.7v?). 

a) Is there a way to take a couple of those USB battery sticks and get the 12V the dot needs? (does it really use 1.2A?)

b) I was thinking of cutting up the power supply to get the barrel connector.  Anyone know a cheap source for them?

c) if not the battery sticks, anyone have a schematic for a cheap battery pack for the dot?  Maybe using these 3.7v batteries I have a bunch of? (I open up the battery packs and get the 18650s out and use them in flashlights.

THANKS!

amazon sells batteries for dots

Offline jwlv

If you get a Dot gen 2, it uses a 5 volt micro USB plug for power.