Echo & Alexa Forums

Need for Cell Phone Plan after initial setup

CAH

Need for Cell Phone Plan after initial setup
« on: July 06, 2020, 01:24:25 pm »
Do you need to keep a mobile phone number and plan after the initial setup of Alexa Echo Show?
I know additional contacts can be added now using the Alexa app on a computer.  I have a Cell Phone and Plan for my mother but she is 98 and not able to use the cell at all.  She does do Alexa calling but her contacts have all been loaded for now, and any additional ones I can add via the computer.  So - can I stop paying for her mobile number and she will still be able to call out and receive calls via the Echo Show?

Re: Need for Cell Phone Plan after initial setup
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 08:53:35 am »
The answer is YES. you may use Alexa/Echo without needing the cell phone for long periods of time, but eventually it will be rendered useless all in a day, by some update that requires you to interact through that account and the cell connection... I have found no way around this yet. Although I run months and months with no issues, all it takes is one thing to happen and it's FUBAR. Always requiring me to re-establish something in the system through the phone. I have ONE Dot that has issues that are mostly due to distance from my router, that will not always reconnect without me accessing it through the cell app... all others in the house (and 5 tablets) have no problem re-connecting on their own. If I understand correctly, the Contacts are from and attached to the cell phone account as well, somehow.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

CAH

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 12:15:33 pm »
What if I can log onto my Mom's Alexa account using my phone which I've done? I turn off syncing contacts so she doesn't get my contacts.  Does she still need a cell phone plan?  Couldn't I update her account using her login on my phone?  Can't talk to anyone at Amazon because they don't answer the phone or emails during this Covid crisis.  I don't want to just try this, because she uses Alexa for calling alot since she can't see to dial a regular phone and would be mighty upset if it no longer worked.

Another thought would be to PARK her cell phone number to save it.  When talking to 'number barn' they thought I would need to use a call forwarding plan not just park it, but that doesn't seem correct either.

Thanks for answering.  Did not think about Amazon updates!

Laurel

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 12:40:01 pm »
I used my computer to sign up our Echo Show devices. I rarely have my cell phone turned on. All of our updates seem to come just fine through wifi.

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 06:43:28 pm »
That's what I'm saying, Laurel... Updates are done thru wifi, but some updates change some things and the way they work, and without the phone you may not be able to make adjustments to the account. Some settings are device, some are account, and others are app settings... Amazon's pages says you must have a cell phone to set up and adjust settings... I looked it up to make sure I wasn't off the farm on this somehow. I had a memory of the same findings previously.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

Offline jwlv

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2020, 06:03:54 pm »
I think that even with an unactivated smart phone, you should be able to set up an Echo device or fix/change settings.
Basically you just need something to run the Alexa app on. It does not necessarily need to connected to any phone carriers. A wifi connection to the internet is all you will need.

There are some things you can do on a computer via a web browser at http://alexa.amazon.com -- some things, such as Routines cannot be created or modified using a computer and web browser. For whatever reason, it just doesn't exist in the web interface. To do routines and other things not available thru the web interface, you must use of the Alexa app (either Android or IOS). Just install the app on your smartphone and off you go. The smart phone does not need to have cell phone service.

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2020, 07:02:30 pm »
I am connected using a google voice number