Echo & Alexa Forums

Trigger Alexa to Announce Doorbell

Johnstoirvin

Trigger Alexa to Announce Doorbell
« on: June 30, 2020, 12:31:58 pm »
I have purchased many so-called "loud" doorbells for my 97 year old mother and none of them are what a normal person would call loud. I have automated her house with Alexa dots in every room and I thought using the echo button for a doorbell button could trigger all the dots to  announce that someone was at the front or back door, but the echo button is no more.

Then I tried a SmartThings button and my hub, but the instructions for building a smart app and device handler left me dazed and really confused.

I know Amazon owns Ring Doorbells, but wouldn't it be nice if they were to again offer a simple pushbutton that could trigger an Alexa announcement, without the video and other bells and whistles that many people just can't afford, or maybe don't even want??

Anyone have any suggestions on how an older guy can get this done without frying his brain?

Re: Trigger Alexa to Announce Doorbell
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 03:46:05 pm »
might want to see if ifttt have what you need.  they should have something that will work with smart doorbells, 

lyallen

Re: Trigger Alexa to Announce Doorbell
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2020, 08:08:20 pm »
I was able to setup a routine that triggers on the doorbell press for my ring to send and announcement to all echo devices.  There is option for echo buttons in the routine trigger menu but I don't know about the buttons.  Unfortunately this didn't announce on my Sonos speakers but it did work on my echo devices. 

It still baffles me that Sonos devices have gimped support for echo stuff.