Echo & Alexa Forums

Now I'm talking to the microwave

Now I'm talking to the microwave
« on: June 27, 2020, 10:40:47 am »
The Amazon Echo Microwave was delivered less than an hour ago. Already setup, in fact, it set up itself. I plugged it in, moved the empty box to another room, when I got back, it said it was ready to go. One feature I really like was the clock set itself.  Now it will always have the correct time.   Guess now I wonder if the air fryer is as bad as the reviews say.   That thing is big.  It is almost as big as the Kenmore microwave I bought in 1982 but not near as heavy. 

Offline jwlv

Re: Now I'm talking to the microwave
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 02:56:30 am »
Is this the one you got?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07894S727

It looks rather small based on the pictures and some reveiws and only 700W. But the price is certainly good at $59.99. If I were to buy a new microwave, I'd get one that's 1100W-1200W since most cooking instructions for frozen foods, popcorn, etc. are for that power rating. 

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 03:18:18 am »
Is this the one you got?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07894S727

It looks rather small based on the pictures and some reveiws and only 700W. But the price is certainly good at $59.99. If I were to buy a new microwave, I'd get one that's 1100W-1200W since most cooking instructions for frozen foods, popcorn, etc. are for that power rating. 

I got the other one and it is 1000w so it will only add a couple of minutes when microwaving.  https://www.amazon.com/Introducing-Amazon-Certified-Humans-device/dp/B07XSCBSN5   

I mainly got it hoping to get some counter space in my small apartment  I have both a large toaster oven and a large microwave and hope to get rid of them.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 04:52:18 am by renegade600 »

Offline jwlv

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2020, 05:19:23 am »
Oh wow! I didn't even know Amazon made this 4-1 oven. I might have to pick one up. I really like that it has a convection oven and air fryer. Please let us know how you like it after using it a few days, especially if the air fryer is any good. And how well does it make toast.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 05:42:21 am »
Upon more research on this oven, I'm happy to see that Amazon is starting to embrace their role in accessibility products.

Several reviewers for the Amazon Smart Oven have stated that they are blind and they love being able to operate the oven by voice. I just found out Amazon makes a Braille keypad overlay for the oven. The price shows $0.99 but it will be discounted to $0.00 during checkout. You can call Amazon customer service to get one as well.

If you are vision impaired, I think this is a fantastic use of technology combined with the familiarity of a common microwave oven, air fryer, and convection oven. The fact that Amazon is backing it is even better. If you are not vision impaired, please do not order the free overlay as it takes inventory away from someone who may need it.

Here's the link to the Braille keypad overlay --> https://www.amazon.com/Braille-Keypad-Overlay-Amazon-Smart/dp/B07XYRX6H5

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2020, 11:31:15 pm »
Oh wow! I didn't even know Amazon made this 4-1 oven. I might have to pick one up. I really like that it has a convection oven and air fryer. Please let us know how you like it after using it a few days, especially if the air fryer is any good. And how well does it make toast.

I really like it.   Use it every day instead of my regular microwave and toaster oven.  almost decided to get rid of them.   really like using voice commands on it instead of pushing buttons.   worked first time every time.   only used the air fryer a couple of times and the fries came out crispy.  some might considered them overcook but it is the way I like them.   I preheated the oven first both times as suggested in the different reviews on amazon.    I did not make regular toast in it since I don't buy bread but the buns came out good.

I was going to try scanning the bar code on some frozen foods but none of what I had would work, besides scanning takes longer, got to open the app, go to devices, click on oven, then scan.   I think that is one feature I won't be using.

what surprised me is the turn table is always rotating.  it means no matter what you cook, it should cook evenly.   the only time it does not rotate is when using the temperature probe. 

Offline jwlv

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2020, 08:12:44 pm »
That sounds like everything I would want. But I have one big concern. If I were to put a plastic or paper plate in the microwave but accidentally set it to convection oven mode, would the thing catch fire? What safeguards are there to prevent something like that happening? As an example, families with small kids who may normally know how to use a microwave to heat up a hot pocket or something similar, is there something that would help with knowing what mode the oven is set to?

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2020, 04:43:11 am »
there still is a lot I don't know about it but I do know that first and foremost, it is a microwave.  if you use buttons, just type in the time just like you normally would on a regular microwave - no extra steps. 

I don't know if it can recognize voices so that might be an option.   If it asks for temperature when trying to microwave, you are using the wrong setting.

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2020, 03:21:50 pm »
Found two cons for the microwave. 

The first one is it will not heat to 450, 425 is max.  No real problem since I very seldom use that setting for what I cook and can always add a few minutes to the instructions.  Besides, some say when using toaster ovens, to lower the cooking temperature by 25 degrees. 

The second one is the heat.  When cooking with the regular toaster oven, there's not much heat outside.    With the alexa microwave, it gets hot on the outside.   Now I know why the instructions say to have 12 inch clearance above it - which I don't have.