Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo Dot with Clock problem

vmcreator

Echo Dot with Clock problem
« on: June 02, 2020, 03:40:25 am »
I have had the Echo Dot with clock for some time now. To turn off the clock display, one needs to say "Echo (this is my wake word for it) "Clock Off" or "Display Off".

Overnight it seems to have a problem arisen!. If I command "Echo Clock Off" it now says "which device" ?. If I answer "Bedroom Clock" it says "this device does not support that command" !!

This has happened over the last 10 hours (overnight). I have deregistered the Echo Dot Clock, but problem still exists?

Re: Echo Dot with Clock problem
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 07:51:45 am »
When it asks "Which device" you should answer "Duh!... the one with the clock display"... LOL

Seriously though. I feel stupid for asking but why do you turn off the clock display? Seems to kill the purpose behind having it. I have multiple Echo Dot Clocks. They're not terribly bright at night. Since I wear prescription glasses, I find it hard to read the display even when I need to. We use the Timer function quite a lot as well, but not while laying down to sleep.

I'm game for a reason though. Just seems odd to buy a clock display only to shut it off...
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

vmcreator

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 10:43:07 am »
Hi scottrods,

I prefer to sleep with the bedside echo dot with clock with the display off, even with automatic brightness dimmed, it is quite bright.

The point is, the alexa voice command for switching off the clock display was working fine for months and last night it just started having amnesia about Alexa commands and the Alexa question back "which device?" never happened before this morning?,  so obviously Amazon have changed something or it is an inherent bug!

Very annoying.

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2020, 11:35:53 am »
I have been getting the message "which device" more often too.  a couple of times unplugging the echo dot for a bit helped.  but then I also had to rename a couple of devices too.   maybe changing the name of the clock will help. 

vmcreator

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2020, 11:45:24 am »
Hi Renegade,

I have tried renaming the echo dot devices too, but to no avail!. I only have two Echo Dots and as described the one in the bedroom is the one with clock.

I also removed my Alexa app and reinstalled it to my iPhone as this was the cure for the "Wake Up" word displaying "Loading" - stuck in a loop!. Yes I also had this on further inspection.

At some point I will switch them off for a considerable time, maybe a few times and see what happens. it is if Alexa thinks I have two Echo Dots with clocks...... hmmm ?

AlanH

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2020, 05:47:40 am »
Hi scottrods,

I prefer to sleep with the bedside echo dot with clock with the display off, even with automatic brightness dimmed, it is quite bright.

The point is, the alexa voice command for switching off the clock display was working fine for months and last night it just started having amnesia about Alexa commands and the Alexa question back "which device?" never happened before this morning?,  so obviously Amazon have changed something or it is an inherent bug!

Very annoying.

"Alexa/Echo, set display brightness to zero"
Automatic brightness is turned off, and I find the zero setting ideal because I don't like a bright display at night either. Zero is a very faint glow, but still readable.