Echo & Alexa Forums

What command to know ON-OFF status of smart plug?

Offline xFlip

What command to know ON-OFF status of smart plug?
« on: May 17, 2020, 04:14:56 am »
What command do I use to find out if my Amazon smart plug (in another room) is switched on or off?

My smart plug is Amazon's own brand and does not need a third party app like "ITTT".

The info is in the Alexa app on my smartphone but I don't always have that with me.

Re: What command to know ON-OFF status of smart plug?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 07:22:16 am »
I asked Alexa
"What's the Status of *Kitchen*" and she says That function is not supported YET. So I am pretty sure there's not currently a function or command for it YET... patience... we're still beta testers on this AI stuff... It will one day work like that and you will have forgotten you wanted that function...
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 07:31:10 am »
I asked Alexa
"What's the Status of *Kitchen*" and she says That function is not supported YET. So I am pretty sure there's not currently a function or command for it YET... patience... we're still beta testers on this AI stuff... It will one day work like that and you will have forgotten you wanted that function...

I tried myself yesterday :-)

From my experience checking status would not be 100 percent accurate anyway.  There have been times when the phone or show 5 showed something was on when it was really off.    I do know a show will give the status on screen after the command is given.  that might be the best option at this time. 

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2020, 07:51:38 am »
I agree... Mine shows status as log as nothing weird has happened... I have a 7 inch Fire Tablet as a control panel in the kitchen, and it gets the status right every time. I suppose it queries the items as it "starts up from a closed tablet position. I mounted the tablet cover to the end of a cabinet, so the screen would turn off by closing it. When in use, the tablet cover hangs below the screen and allows easy access, but you do have to "open, Swipe, and wait a few seconds" at least for the tablet to wake up and do it's job... It's the slowest option I have, but was pretty cheap.

I tried to find an easy controller app to change the Fire Tablet to, but no matter what I tried it got too difficult and time consuming for me to dig into, and most of the results described have no better response times. I could be wrong as there are several options available. All of it still beats buying, building, and programming your own Raspberry pi or Arduino...
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!