Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa setup for disabled friend

AJayStanley

Alexa setup for disabled friend
« on: April 24, 2020, 08:01:09 am »
I’m a longtime Echo user.  Trying to setup device for mobility disabled friend on a budget.  Amazon indicates the Alexa app would work on any Android 6.0 and above, but found it will not download on all.

Can anyone confirm a cheap android that will definitely work with the Alexa app?

Re: Alexa setup for disabled friend
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2020, 09:00:45 am »
what is the full model number of the tablet?   some cheap tablets have their own version of android where apps from the play store will not install.   If you have not gotten a cheap tablet yet, consider getting a fire tablet from amazon.  it already has alexa installed. 

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2020, 01:18:26 pm »
You may have to download the apk from an apk site  and install it that way. I use apkpure for apps that Google won't  allow downloading for what ever reason.
https://m.apkpure.com/amazon-alexa/com.amazon.dee.app

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2020, 03:17:17 pm »
word of caution, though you may be able to sideload the echo app, you may or may not be able to get the other apps for any smart devices you might need  in addition to any possible security updates.   do so at your own risk.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 03:45:06 pm by renegade600 »

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2020, 07:17:49 am »
word of caution, though you may be able to sideload the echo app, you may or may not be able to get the other apps for any smart devices you might need  in addition to any possible security updates.   do so at your own risk.
  I had no issue with getting  skills for smart devices. Updates to the Alexa app may not work automaticaly since they go threw the play store. However they can as well be side loaded as soon as the updated apk is posted.

You should be only side loading Apk files from trusted sources as they can be hiding viruses.
Id recommend a good antivirus app as well

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2020, 02:48:41 pm »
  I had no issue with getting  skills for smart devices. Updates to the Alexa app may not work automaticaly since they go threw the play store. However they can as well be side loaded as soon as the updated apk is posted.

You should be only side loading Apk files from trusted sources as they can be hiding viruses.
Id recommend a good antivirus app as well

who said anything about skills.  I was talking about other apps like kasa, hue, wemo and others thats needed to setup the bulbs, plugs or whatever.   and just because you sideload an apk does not mean it will definitely work as the op asked - especially since the model of the tablet was not mentioned. 

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2020, 08:33:32 am »
who said anything about skills.  I was talking about other apps like kasa, hue, wemo and others thats needed to setup the bulbs, plugs or whatever.   and just because you sideload an apk does not mean it will definitely work as the op asked - especially since the model of the tablet was not mentioned. 
I miss read your post obviously :-[  It would be a pain to have to look for other apps if no access to the Playstore. However if you can't  find the apk it is possible to create one which I've done for my FireTv stick. One other issue with Android devices that can't  access the playstore is just because you can side load the apk it doesn't mean it will work correctly.
I only mentioned the Apk route as it costs nothing to try. ;)

AndyGlasgow2020

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2020, 12:19:39 pm »
Anyone still having this problem? Old post, I know.

I set up Alexa a little while ago using a very cheap Blackview A70 Pro, which runs Android 7.0. I bought it new a couple of years ago for £70. You can pick up used ones on eBay for under £50. If I were doing it again now, I would use an iPhone 5S, which can also be had for under £50. I never had any trouble installing the Alexa app, Smart Life and the LG TV app on an Android or iOS phone.